Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 09:16 AM

Default AA UTG limp question

So I limp UTG with AA at Party 3-6. Table had been raising about 15% so I went for reraise. Didn't happen. 1 MP call and both blinds. Flop is JJx. Checked to me. Now what? Do I bet? Probably only get called by J. Or do I check and calldown hoping to catch a bluff? I don't remember the players stats, I'm more looking for just this general situation.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:23 AM

Default Re: AA UTG limp question

I don't think you check. The majority of the time, you will have the best hand. So, you're bet would be for value, to protect your hand, and to gain information.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:30 AM

Another case proving my point from yesterday about why limping with AA (to quote Nate) "sucks donkey balls".
Old 06-09-2005, 09:36 AM

I agree. But this was the position and table with the preflop rasie % to do it.

Betting for value. Who calls that I beat? Lower pocket pair maybe. Wouldn't I get more value checking to induce bluff?
Old 06-09-2005, 09:46 AM

Betting for value. Who calls that I beat? Lower pocket pair maybe. Wouldn't I get more value checking to induce bluff?

[/ QUOTE ]

So, are you planning on ck/raising the flop if someone bets or just calling? I think I would want to find out early in the hand if I'm up against a J instead of calling all the way to the river.

For value? I guess I'm just thinking that you will have the best hand the majority of the time, you don't want to give a PP a free shot, and I never doubt the calling requirements of the SS tables.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So, are you planning on ck/raising the flop if someone bets or just calling? I think I would want to find out early in the hand if I'm up against a J instead of calling all the way to the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

This may prove difficult. There are a lot of 3/6 players who love to trap. For instance, if you checkraise and MP has a jack, he may just call the checkraise and then wait until the turn or the river to pop you.

[ QUOTE ]
For value? I guess I'm just thinking that you will have the best hand the majority of the time, you don't want to give a PP a free shot, and I never doubt the calling requirements of the SS tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

If MP has a pocket pair, he'll probably bet. In fact, he might take a stab with much less.

If one of the blinds had a pocket pair, there's a good chance he would have led with it.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:27 AM

For instance, if you checkraise and MP has a jack, he may just call the checkraise and then wait until the turn or the river to pop you.

So, show aggression early and if he sticks around, then back off on later streets? Don't you need to be aggressive here until you have a reason not to be? You'll be ahead most of the time, so it's the chance you take, right?

Is there any reasons to check?
Old 06-09-2005, 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
IMO, there is NEVER a position or table to do it at in limit poker.

Apparently there are plenty of new posters to these forums that think it's correct. I'm still waiting to hear reasons why.

You guys can do what you want - but for me, personally - I'm can't really find a reason NOT to raise with the BEST hand?!? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-09-2005, 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
IMO, there is NEVER a position or table to do it at in limit poker.

Apparently there are plenty of new posters to these forums that think it's correct. I'm still waiting to hear reasons why.

You guys can do what you want - but for me, personally - I'm can't really find a reason NOT to raise with the BEST hand?!? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a time when I consider going for a limp-reraise with AA:

I have a big LAG to my left who routinely raises preflop but generally only calls when there's a raise in front of him. People behind the LAG don't respect his raises at all, but they have shown some respect for mine.

That said, although I do kind of enjoy limp-reraising, I hardly ever actually do it. I do think the play has merit under certain circumstances, though. (If, for instance, your UTG raises are getting lots and lots of respect, and there's a good chance you'll just steal the blinds if you raise, then I think that's another time to consider just limping initially. And if I did limp under those circumstances and someone successfully isolated me with a raise, I might not even carry through with the limp-reraise, because I wouldn't want to give my hand away yet.)

Anyway, while I think saying the conditions that make limping with aces a good play never occur in limit is going too far, I do agree that the large majority of the time it's better just to raise with them.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:33 AM

This is one of a few times I've limped AA. I liked the conditions to make the move. I was more looking for afterflop play.