Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 04:31 PM

Default My Party Poker account was hacked, lost $600

Last Friday I deposited $600 into Party to get the June bonus. I left for the weekend and came back on Sunday night. Logged into Party to clear some of the bonus and my balance was at $0. I did not panic at first, I thought maybe I had withdrawn it and transferred to another site. After ruling that out I looked at my bonus info page and saw that 48 hands had been played toward clearing the bonus.

I did not remember playing any hands since my last deposit so I requested a hand history of my last 50 hands. Looking through the hand history I saw that on Saturday (when i was out of town) someone logged into my account and played a 6max NL 2-4 game. Almost all of the hands I played I lost to the same person and the final hand was my last $200 and was lost to boat over boat. It seems they were trying to disguise the money dumping somewhat and finally had a hand where they could get all my money in for a loss.

Before even looking at these hand histories I had emailed party support and they replied saying that I deposited 600 on Friday and lost it all on Saturday (thanks for the info).

After coming to my own conclusions I first changed my Party password and then called them up. I was transferred 3 times, each time I had to explain the situation. The last transfer was to there fraud department and they told me to change my password, do not check the "save password" box at login, and to not let anyone else have access to my account. He said there would be a 24 hour investigation and I would receive the results in an Email.

Here is the results of their "investigation":
<font color="green">
Dear Brian,
Thank you for contacting us. As per records we see that you made a deposit of $600 on
03-JUN-2005 18:22 EST, played on couple of tables and loosed all your
money. However, if you wish to check your account activity
from your end please follow below procedure. In the lobby
menu, please click on “My Account” and then on “Go to My
Account (website)”. On the right hand side, you will find a heading
”Other Options”. The second option under this heading is
”View the activity of your Account”. Click on it and you can view
your account activity information for 30 days prior to your last log in
time. You can view this data for a week at a time. Note: Please do not disclose your password to any individual/organization claiming
to represent us. We will never ask you for the password to your account. If
you receive any email or phone call from anyone requesting you to provide
your password please report it to us immediately, Our
Customer Care Department is available 24/7 to assist you via
email, Thank you for choosing us as your online gaming
site!
</font>
(sorry for the poor formatting but it is copied from an HTML email.)

Uh, what? What happened to the investigation? Usually after "However,” there would be a result.

I am going to call them back again of course. I would like to know if anyone has had any sort of problem like this. Does it seem like they are trying to blow me off? Do I deserve a refund?

If anyone would like to see the hand history and how they dumped the money from one player to another let me know.

Thanks for listening.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:36 PM

Default Re: My Party Poker account was hacked, lost $600

That sucks. They seriously need to polish the turd they call Party Customer Service. I don't think you are entitled to a refund, because it doesn't sound like Party was negligent in your account getting hacked. I suppose if you can prove the chip dumping theory, which seems pretty plausible from your story, then they might go after the other guy and get some of your money back that way. I wouldn't expect Party to just pay you $600 though.
Keep us posted.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:39 PM

you can try to get more info on the other player involved. You already have his party handle obviously.

I would contact their fraud-team again and say that the e-mail they sent was ridiculously unsatisfactory.

I would also think about your password.
Could someone have figured it out (your kid's name or a common word)?
Is your password the same as on another site? (if your password for your e-mail is the same...then maybe some support person could get at it)
Did you type your password ANYWHERE (perhaps you accidentally gave it someone via a phish-type e-mail)?
Did you play on someone else's computer at some time?
Has anyone else been on your computer at any time (including 'Did you take it to a shop at some point'?)
Do you suspect there was a key-logger installed somehow?
Old 06-08-2005, 04:52 PM

I forgot to say that they sent me an excel file with IP addresses that logged into my account and table transactions. And you can clearly tell that there is one different IP address that connected on Saturday.

This is the IP address: 4.239.186.7

If you go to a site like http://psacake.com/web/eg.asp
You can see where the IP originated from. I live in Oregon and the IP is from CO it seems.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I forgot to say that they sent me an excel file with IP addresses that logged into my account and table transactions. And you can clearly tell that there is one different IP address that connected on Saturday.

You can see where the IP originated from. I live in Oregon and the IP is from CO it seems.

[/ QUOTE ]

if this is the truth i see no reason why they shouldnt be trying to link that IP address to whatever the guy's screen name is whom you think did this.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:37 PM

There are two things you probably need to think about that i didn't see mentioned specifically:

Have you installed any 3rd party poker programs? Especially in the last ~6 months?

Do you use this password for any forums, especially poker related forumes (2+2 you probably don't need to worry about as much, but specifically any smaller poker forums)?
Old 06-08-2005, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the company that owns the IP. The location would appear to be Audubon,NJ.

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/city.ch?ip=4.239.186.7
Old 06-09-2005, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That is the company that owns the IP. The location would appear to be Audubon,NJ.

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/city.ch?ip=4.239.186.7

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I found the NJ address also. I didnt know what the difference was. Any way to find out exactly who it is? Would probably have to call the ISP huh? And they arent going to give that info out.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:06 AM

If I were you I would file a police report ASAP. I don't know US law but I assume that there will be something illegal about accessing an account without the owner's permission. Given that Party is in Gibralter, the US authorities aren't going to be able to do much to force them to give out info, but since the perp seems to be based in the US then they can go after him via the IP address you've got. Do pursue this via the authorities since it doesn't look like you've got a hope via Party [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-08-2005, 04:41 PM

This is the most brilliant doubling up scheme I have ever heard.