Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2005, 02:37 PM

Default Integrated video card on the Inspirion 6000

Is there any downside to the integrated video card assuming I'm only going to play poker, watch dvds, read emails etc? A frind of mine says that there is a chance that the cheaper video card will affect the refresh rate on the screen and be harder on my eyes. I know zero about this.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Integrated video card on the Inspirion 6000

i just got the 6000 with the integrated video card (but I got the best screen). the only refresh rate it has is 60hz. that's pretty crappy, but i haven't had a problem with it really affecting my eyes.

i assume that a card upgrade would provide better refresh rates, but im not exactly sure how refresh frequency works with lcd screens.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i just got the 6000 with the integrated video card (but I got the best screen). the only refresh rate it has is 60hz. that's pretty crappy, but i haven't had a problem with it really affecting my eyes.

i assume that a card upgrade would provide better refresh rates, but im not exactly sure how refresh frequency works with lcd screens.

[/ QUOTE ]
Refresh for LCDs just refers to the frequency that pixel data is updated. Unlike CRTs whose pixels fade and need constant "refreshing", LCD pixels do not fade and therefore require high refresh rates to avoid eye strain. 60Hz is the standard refresh rate for LCD monitors.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:40 PM

The "refresh rate" of an LCD is typically expressed in ms, not Hz; Windows only has options for Hz, though, so it kinda-sorta guesses. In other words, don't worry about the refresh rate on your LCD display. Especially if you're not a twitch-gamer.

For playing poker, you'd be hard pressed to find a modern LCD display that didn't work just fine. DVDs I have no data on, sorry.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:45 PM

Integrated video shares RAM with your system. So 512MB of ram is probably more like 450. Getting the separate video card is worth it for this reason IMO.

The Doc