Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2005, 12:49 AM

Default wsop event 2 comments

since harrahs didn't keep any of the old wsop staff, I thought it would be run very poorly. not true. the staff did a very good job. some of the dealers are terrible, but it's like that every year.

I pre-registered for event 2. this was great as far as I didn't have to wait in line for 3-4 hours like the people who signed up on site. it didn't even take me 5 minutes. but (and this might be my biggest bone with the way the event is run) the players were seated in the order they registered. that means that my table was all pre-registered players, which means they were all serious tournament types. needless to say, they all played tight. the seats should be assigned in a more random fashion.

the complaint I heard over and over is the bathroom facilities, or lack therof. for over 2300 players, and who knows how many spectators, there were only two restrooms within easy walking distance. the lines were very long at the breaks, and I didn't get back to my table in time after the first break. also, if you have to go during the tournament, it is very difficult to make your way through all the spectators and then get back to your table. at binions, you could run to the one outside the tournament area and make it back in minimal time.

the rio wanted $400/night for this weekend. that's outrageous, so I would recommend you stay somewhere reasonable if you are going to vegas to play any events. I was going to stay at the rio for the main event, but since the tournament area is so far from the rooms that you couldn't make it to your room and back during any of the breaks, I'll probably stay elswhere.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:10 AM

Default Re: wsop event 2 comments

[ QUOTE ]
since harrahs didn't keep any of the old wsop staff, I thought it would be run very poorly. not true. the staff did a very good job. some of the dealers are terrible, but it's like that every year.

I pre-registered for event 2. this was great as far as I didn't have to wait in line for 3-4 hours like the people who signed up on site. it didn't even take me 5 minutes. but (and this might be my biggest bone with the way the event is run) the players were seated in the order they registered. that means that my table was all pre-registered players, which means they were all serious tournament types. needless to say, they all played tight. the seats should be assigned in a more random fashion.

the complaint I heard over and over is the bathroom facilities, or lack therof. for over 2300 players, and who knows how many spectators, there were only two restrooms within easy walking distance. the lines were very long at the breaks, and I didn't get back to my table in time after the first break. also, if you have to go during the tournament, it is very difficult to make your way through all the spectators and then get back to your table. at binions, you could run to the one outside the tournament area and make it back in minimal time.

the rio wanted $400/night for this weekend. that's outrageous, so I would recommend you stay somewhere reasonable if you are going to vegas to play any events. I was going to stay at the rio for the main event, but since the tournament area is so far from the rooms that you couldn't make it to your room and back during any of the breaks, I'll probably stay elswhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

The dealers were terrible (kept dealing cards to the wrong players, or mis dealing some) and the bathrooms were really far... I had to walk down 2 long hallways to go to the jon (during the event, since i couldn't hold it much more) and missed a few hands...

But everything else was ok and I believe the minor issues will be resolved before the ME.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the players were seated in the order they registered.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe this is still going on. In Tahoe, 5 of us played a WSOP tourney. Three of us walked up and signed up, then a few minutes later, two more of us did.

Seats were Table 30, 5/6/7 and Table 31, 1/2.

Anyway, snakehead, how much cash did you have on you? How did you get it from LA to Vegas? Did you bring a bodyguard?
Old 06-05-2005, 08:37 PM

I had $200. everyone knows you can't fly with cash, so I drove. I couldn't afford a bodyguard, so greg let me walk a few steps behind his entourage.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:40 PM

I too am really surprised that they would do this.

don't they have some computer program that can randomly assign the seats??

Playing against a bunch of online-qualifers probably isn't so terrible though. Less likely to have the Raymer's, Lederer's and Ivey's on your table...more likely to be up against "Rangers4ever" and "RonL75" from the Stars tables which I don't mind.

I will probably check out the situation there before my first tourney and figure out how far I have to go to make it to the john that is FURTHEST away.
The extra running will be a nice little break and I'll probably miss fewer hands then if I waited around in line.

I have a pretty booming voice so everyone will hear loud and clear to get the hell out of my way so that I can get back to the table.
My bladder is not the largest and I like to drink lots of coffee, etc....so piss-breaks and their relative convenience (or lack thereof) are VERY important to me.

I think it's inexcuseable that they are using a convention room that is so inadequate for nearby bathroom facilities.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:32 PM

Let me chime in as another person who can not understand the way they are seating players at all. I have run several small events (for various things: CCGs, videogames, a poker tournament or two) and that system of seating is absolutely unacceptable, even for a small local tournament with little on the line. The fact that a major event with millions of dollars on the line is doing this is nothing short of laughable.

(Granted, being seeded with your playing crew is worse in a CCG or videogame tournament, as they are less random and do not naturally randomize out as tables break. Still... this is beyond incompetent.)

-K
Old 06-06-2005, 08:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like they don't, as otherwise they'd use it. However, how many people with even meager computer skills could whip up a program that would randomly seat people? That being the case, it's idiotic that they don't have one in place. (That was an unfortunate rhyme.)

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 06-06-2005, 09:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like they don't, as otherwise they'd use it. However, how many people with even meager computer skills could whip up a program that would randomly seat people? That being the case, it's idiotic that they don't have one in place. (That was an unfortunate rhyme.)

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com

[/ QUOTE ]

A quick look at the Poker Clock Comparison Chart at homepokertourney.com reveals that 'The Clock', the commercial version of the software used at the WSOP, is one of two programs (out of five listed so far) with zero player management (i.e. seating & table consolidation) features. Time for an upgrade, I'd say.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:26 AM

Just list everyone in Excel, list a random number next to each person using rand() and then sort by the random number. Voila! Random seating. WTF?
Old 06-05-2005, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Although this is truly a mistake, and one that they should clearly rectify, I'd like to go on record right now as saying I hope they don't fix it by the main event.

I qualified on Stars. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]