Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 05:45 AM

Default AQo in the BB

Reviewing my hands, pinning down my errors.

Villain is new to the table, 3 hands.. he hadn't played one yet.

Paradise Poker 0.10/0.20 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Shoulda 3bet here, right?

Turn: (4.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Bet this out, instead?

Final Pot: 8.25 BB
Old 05-31-2005, 05:53 AM

Default Re: AQo in the BB

3-bet pre-flop -- for value, to take control of the hand, and to see how much he likes his hand.

3 bet the flop, please. You have TPTK on a board that is not all that scary. This would be easier to do if you had three bet pre-flop, as you would have a narrower range of hands on your opponent.

If you are confident that villan will bet the river, checkraise it. If you are not, bet out. You lose to a set, 89 and KJ; you are good the vast majority of the time here and should be trying to get as many bets into the pot as you possibly can.

-K
Old 05-31-2005, 05:56 AM

You should definitely 3-bet the flop with top pair in HU. I fhe calls I would bet again in turn. If he caps, I probably check-call the turn
Old 05-31-2005, 06:18 AM

no reads, i'd play it the same.

i tend to give credit until i see otherwise. a raise UTG and HU, i'm not 3-betting preflop. i might 3-bet the flop, but mostly he's already said he can beat your pair of queens.

on the river, the only preflop EP raising hands you beat are JJ,TT, AJ, AK (don't think by flop play, he has those) and KK. while you lose to AA,QQ, and split with AQ.

so i think i'd bet out the river and call a raise, but i don't think a c/r would be wise.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

i might 3-bet the flop, but mostly he's already said he can beat your pair of queens.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually disagree with this. I see an aggressive UTG raising with AKo in this spot as well, or even a hand we have dominated like KQo. I'd probably check/raise this flop, call down if 3bet.

I'm also thinking about whether we should be raising that river...
Old 05-31-2005, 07:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

i might 3-bet the flop, but mostly he's already said he can beat your pair of queens.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually disagree with this. I see an aggressive UTG raising with AKo in this spot as well, or even a hand we have dominated like KQo. I'd probably check/raise this flop, call down if 3bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think i like the c/r line better than betting out as if 3-bet, I think it gives us a better idea of whether it is UI overcards or not. either case, we're still not 3-betting, which i think is my point.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:14 PM

How does check-raising give us more information? An aggressive player might 3-bet anyway with AK, AQ, KQ, KK, or...

Of course we're going to 3-bet the flop. Shoot, I would cap it if given the chance. I really don't like your advice on this hand.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:58 PM

I agree with the raise on the river. I figure hes got the best hand here a fair amount of time.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i tend to give credit until i see otherwise. a raise UTG and HU, i'm not 3-betting preflop. i might 3-bet the flop, but mostly he's already said he can beat your pair of queens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah? And maybe he's full of it. You are fearing monsters under the bed.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:07 AM

I would have check raised the flop! That puts you in control and then you are betting 1st. Make HIM decide if he was to be passive

Grinders Warehouse BLOG Edition