Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2002, 01:17 PM

Default 45s in the SB

The following is from a really good 10-20 game. There's a couple of solid players in the game, but mostly calling stations.

EP limps in, 2 MPs limp, and LP limps. I complete my small blind with 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] . BB checks.

BB is a tight, reasonable player. EP is a lunatic. He'll play any 2 cards at any time. Sometimes he's over aggressive, but he gets very passive when someone else shows a lot of strength. LP is a true calling station on tilt.

Flop: 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]

I bet, BB raises, EP 3 bets. Both MPs fold and LP calls 3 cold. I call as does BB.

Turn: [9 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] ] J [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]

I check, BB checks, EP bets, LP calls. I check raise, BB calls, EP and LP call.

River: [9 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]] 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]

I check and it's checked around.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-17-2002, 03:00 PM

Default Re: 45s in the SB

I think betting the river may be the right play. There are alot of hands that loose players will pay you off with. If you check, a larger flush is going to bet anyway, so you might as well get paid by the weaker hands that will call. Since the only player that showed strength when the flush draw hit was the lunatic, I think you're good. The only real danger is that the BB has a middle flush, but he will bet if you don't. I think the BB is likely to have A9 with the Ace of Spades.
Old 12-17-2002, 03:19 PM

I don't have a problem with anything, except for the river. I guess the real problem here is what you put the BB on? You showed a lot of strength, and he's still hanging around. However, with all those maniacs in the pot to pay you off, betting the river is still correct. The BB won't raise without the nuts to get the overcalls from the maniacs - plus he's gotta respect your strength in this hand. I think he would have pulled the trigger on turn with a middling flush, but could be waiting with a big flush. Unless he has the nuts, you won't be raised here, I think, so I'd bet. I hope he had a hand like A [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] , 2 pair, or a set (unlikely) and is just trying to get to the river, which is what the river action indicated.

With morons who are willing to pay you off, I'm always hesitant to check the river with a decent hand.
Old 12-17-2002, 06:11 PM

I think you played the hand great...until the river. What would make you suddenly freeze up? If someone had a big flush, I am pretty sure they would 3-bet the turn fearing a 4th spade could kill their action (if they have the nuts currently) or beat them. It seems to me that the BB has a set and is pretty sure he is going to be raised by a flush on the turn due to all the action...hence why he called two cold. I'd only check the end if the board pairs. I think you will be called by many worse hands on the river here.

Jeff
Old 12-17-2002, 06:43 PM

I dont see the logic of check raising the turn, and then deciding to check the river when a complete blank hit on the river. It seems you made your decision that you had the best hand when you check raised the turn.
Old 12-17-2002, 08:00 PM

Bet the river. Worse hands will call.

If you can't value bet your 54s flushes, then you shouldn't play them.

Old 12-17-2002, 08:44 PM

You missed a bet on the end.

eldo
Old 12-17-2002, 10:38 PM

Put in another raise on the flop. Pair and a flush draw--I think you underplayed it. You made up for it with your check raise
on the turn, so why not bet the river? If there was a bigger flush out, you would have likely been reraised on the turn.
Old 12-18-2002, 02:55 AM

Default Results

I'm glad to see everyone thought I should have bet the river, because I thought I should have also.

It turns out I saved myself a bet, because EP showed Q [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] for the winner. I still agree with all of you that betting is the best play.

I don't know why I didn't bet. I wasn't at all worried about BB, or LP. I guess it just didn't feel right, who knows.

As someone guessed, BB had A [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 9. LP showed K [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] and was actually angry that he didn't win.

Thanks for the thoughts.
Old 12-18-2002, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Results

demand your money bac......there are two 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 's in the deck