Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2005, 12:20 AM

Default Big laydown...Prudent or weak

Very early in Party 55NL tourney. Blinds 10/15. I have T1400, villan has T1200. Villan appears aggressive, but that's an opinion based on about 10 hands...so close to worthless.

I'm dealt QQ UTG and open raise to T55. Villan in EP reraises to T125. All fold back to me and I call. Flop comes 677 rainbow. I check, villan bets T200. I check-raise to 500. He pushes (another ~500) and I fold.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:28 AM

Default Re: Big laydown...Prudent or weak

What hands would he re-raise with pre-flop? Let's say AA-TT, AK. The fact that he re-raised your check-raise says a lot. I doubt if he has AK so I'd narrow the range to AA-TT. You're ahead of 6 hands. You're behind 6 hands. Add in some possibility of having 99 and the fact that you're getting something like 3 to 1 odds and I think you need to call.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What hands would he re-raise with pre-flop? Let's say AA-TT, AK. The fact that he re-raised your check-raise says a lot. I doubt if he has AK so I'd narrow the range to AA-TT. You're ahead of 6 hands. You're behind 6 hands. Add in some possibility of having 99 and the fact that you're getting something like 3 to 1 odds and I think you need to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's close to what I was thinking, although I thought TT was unlikely (yes, it's an overpair, but reraise pre-flop and 3-bet my check-raise on the flop seems an unusually aggressive line for TT). I was thinking JJ-AA with a 10% chance of something else (probably AK).

In the heat of battle, I figured the odds edged toward a call (after the fact, I calculated that I was a 2:1 dog against my projected range of hands and the pot was laying 2.75:1). However, it was still very early and I'd have plenty of chips left (~750) if I mucked. So early in the tourney, I wasn't willing to commit my chips here. I have no idea if I made the right play.

Thoughts from anyone else?
Old 05-27-2005, 12:21 PM

call, he shows down kings and you enter the next tourney.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
call, he shows down kings and you enter the next tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]
Simple yet so true. People still play MTTs like the old days. You don't want to get knocked out because it's some special event you've been looking forward to. Push the small edges. You'll either build a nice stack and no deep or get into a new tourney (or do something productive with your life [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]).
Old 05-27-2005, 12:30 PM

Leading the flop and folding to a raise would probably be a better plan if you're planning on c/ring half your stack then folding.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Leading the flop and folding to a raise would probably be a better plan if you're planning on c/ring half your stack then folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

I consider that option, but I've seen many players raise a bet with overcards (AK) in this spot. I figured his reraise of my check-raise would define his hand much more clearly (admittedly at a significant cost to me).
Old 05-27-2005, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree this is a better line then check raising and folding, but given the range of hands I can't imagine not getting all my chips in here. It's only marginally +EV but, that's the point. Push small edges early.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:35 PM

Pretty easy call, imho. Think of the universe of hands that villian would play in this precise manner. Of all the hands he plays like this, you're ahead a good chunk of the time. I would estimate this would be a profitable call at at least 2:1 odds, and the odds at this point are so juicy.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:42 PM

As PS said, I think a better line is to pot the flop. As you played it, I think it's a fold as well -- Hero has clearly defined his hand as a big overpair, and Villain is saying he can beat it.

I think you get shown KK and AA far more often than 99-JJ here.