Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2005, 11:11 AM

Default Laying it down

Here is the hand. I will make up names as this hand has a twist. John is on the button with K10 off suite. THe game is 400NL 6person. Everyone limps to John who raises it to 25. A pretty large preflop raises, yet John has a loose image. He gets two callers the flop is 10 6 2 rainbow. John bets out 25 and gets raised 50 other players fold John calls. The turn is a 4 again no flush draws out there. John Checks and Villan bets 100$ John again calls. The river is another blank a 7 John checks and Villian goes all in for 230 John hesistantly calls. And wins the pot. Villian had 9,9. Question is, who played this worse the Villian or the John the Hero? And why?
Old 05-24-2005, 11:18 AM

Default Re: Laying it down

Eh, not too bad. Check-calling turn and river with TPGK is not too horrible.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:37 AM

The twist is I'm the villian. I though for sure he would lay it down. Most people i know so they would have....
Old 05-24-2005, 11:42 AM

Well you read him as loose, doesn't that make him less likely to lay it down?
Old 05-24-2005, 12:05 PM

Yeh after replaying the hand many times in my head that was the conclusion i came to. I shouldnt play at a guy who doesnt know how to fold. But, for some reason i though that hand he was holding on to AK and missed the flop completely. I never imagined someone would raise to 25 with K10 Preflop. I find that to be a perpostourous play. Howver, it doenst exuse me from playing or making a move on someone who would never comprehend it. I just wanna see if others players think its that horroble of a play overall.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I never imagined someone would raise to 25 with K10 Preflop. I find that to be a perpostourous play.

[/ QUOTE ]

That kind of thinking has cost me my stack many times over as I've climbed up from the kiddie pen.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:35 AM

And also, it's not a preposterous play. Everybody's shown weakness and there's decent money in the pot for taking. If he get's called his hand isn't a good one, but at least it's better than nothing. I can see myself making this raise very easily. You should give a wide range of hands to big button raises after a couple of limpers. Dependent on the raiser of course, but stealing from the limpers is a common practise even for tight players.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is the hand. I will make up names as this hand has a twist. John is on the button with K10 off suite. THe game is 400NL 6person. Everyone limps to John who raises it to 25. A pretty large preflop raises, yet John has a loose image. He gets two callers the flop is 10 6 2 rainbow. John bets out 25 and gets raised 50 other players fold John calls. The turn is a 4 again no flush draws out there. John Checks and Villan bets 100$ John again calls. The river is another blank a 7 John checks and Villian goes all in for 230 John hesistantly calls. And wins the pot. Villian had 9,9. Question is, who played this worse the Villian or the John the Hero? And why?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think once he calls the turn it's pretty clear he's

a) got a hand
and
b) is not folding
Old 05-24-2005, 12:59 PM

What were you trying to achieve with your bets? That he'd call with a lesser hand? In that case you shouldve checked behind / bet smaller on the river.

Or were you trying to make him lay down a better hand? In that case you did a terrible job of representing a strong, real hand on other streets. Do I read correctly that you minraised the flop? What in the world did you think that would achieve?
Old 05-24-2005, 01:55 PM

I did reraise the flop but it was not a miniraise. It was a strong one. I agree i misplayed this hand but against other players it has worked like a charm. I should have followed my playerview. And again, im sorry a pair of tens with second best kicker is not taht strong. As far as he knows i could have JJ QQ KK AA even marginal A10 bets him. I dont think the play is horrible as much as the timing. And timing is everything in poker. There is a lot of talk this that its a simple call. Trust me if your in a live game and someone is throwing big bets at you its a lot easier said than done to call them down with just a pair of tens. However i did make the play at the wrong person.