Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2005, 09:36 AM

Default Math Textbooks, Yeah, I\'m a geek and I know it...

Hey all:

So I'm seriously thinking about going back to grad school to get a Masters in Financial Engineering. Pretty excited about it. I have been working in the software industry for about 5 years now and it is lame with little to no math. I love math, but alas I think I'm a little rusty on my higher math. So I'm looking to buy some higher math books.

So my questions are:

1) Does anybody know of a good Calculus textbook?
2) Does anybody know of a good Probablity and Statistics textbook?
3) Does anybody know of a good Linear Algebra textbook?
4) Does any college student wish to sell any or all of these to me?

Thanks all.

-Gryph
Old 05-24-2005, 10:47 AM

Default Re: Math Textbooks, Yeah, I\'m a geek and I know it...

Forgotten Calculus is currently lying on my apartment floor but it seems like a quality review for someone in your (or my similar) situation.

There is another "Forgotten" book for algebra and assuming it covers linear I guess that could work too.

I'm lost as to what's good for stats though so I'll be monitoring this to see if anyone comes up with anything good.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:15 AM

Calculus really isn't that high of a level of mathematics. I covered that in high school. Math gets really nasty in college. I don't think you'd like math if you took some of the courses that I took.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Calculus really isn't that high of a level of mathematics. I covered that in high school. Math gets really nasty in college. I don't think you'd like math if you took some of the courses that I took.

[/ QUOTE ]

He asked for a calculus book I gave him a calculus book recommendation

He asked for a linear algebra I...tired to give a linear algebra book recommendation

what else do you want?
Old 05-24-2005, 11:17 AM

I was responding to OP. Sorry.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:45 PM

Multivariate Calculus is pretty high brow. Along with partial differential equations. What they teach you in HS isn't the important type of Calculus.

I love math and I had to take all the nasty courses to get my physics degree. I just havent used it in five years.

-Gryph
Old 05-24-2005, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Bragging post says what?
Old 05-25-2005, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have read in one of my philosophy texts as well as heard one of my professors say that calculus is one of man's greatest inventions (discoveries?) in the last millenium. There is far more to calculus than just "take the derivative" and "integrate." My school offers courses in Calculus at least until fourth year, and quite possibly even beyond that.
Old 05-28-2005, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is another "Forgotten" book for algebra and assuming it covers linear I guess that could work too.

[/ QUOTE ]

"This updated book is a self-teaching brush-up course for students who need more math background before taking calculus"

i highly doubt the forgotten algrebra book coveres anyhting even tangentially related to what the OP needs to review.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:10 PM

My Calculus Book - Calculus: One and Several Variables 8th Edition by Salas/Hille/Etgen

My Prob/Stat Book - Probability and Statistics for Engineers and Scientists 2nd Edition by Anothony Hayter.

My Linear Algebra Book - Discrete Algorithm Mathematics 3rd Edition by Maurer/Ralston.

The Calc book has a new version, the 9th edition out for $160 or so. I have 2 copies of the 8th edition (took my roommates after he left to sell back, but they wouldn't buy them because of the 9th edition) so if you want one it'll be cheap. Like, box and shipping cheap.

I don't have copies of the other 2 books, but they were really good. Especially the Prob/Stat book. There might be better Linear Algebra books out there, but I wouldn't get another P/S book.