Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2005, 03:34 PM

Default Hellmuth vs. Ferguson

1. Ferguson checks his AQs behind when he catches an ace on the turn, allowing Hellmuth to spike a 4 for a set. Granted, we can't always see monsters under the bed, but wouldn't we think a bet might be in order on the turn?

2. Lederer on Hellmuth histrionics: "Grow up." Ha.

3. "They APPLAUD that play??!" I guess Phil can't figure out why the fans just aren't behind him, especially when he implies they are idiots. Maybe they were applauding the CARD, Phil, or just applauding against you, no matter what.

4. "Even the great players GIVE their chips to me, or try to, at least." That's what makes Phil great, I hear.

5. Phil's muck of a set of tens was abysmal. There's $75K in the pot, and the bet is $30K. He has TT, and the board shows AKJT7, no flush draw. He tanks, FOLDS, and then shows it? Come on. This is a bad fold, right?

6. What was with all the preflop limping? Hellmuth didn't seem remotely interested in taking the lead preflop, no matter what he held. Seems like an odd HU strategy. Granted, it eventually worked, which surprised me. I thought sure Ferguson would have figured out that Hellmuth was limping some big hands, waiting for a mistake. But he made the mistake several times anyway.

Very entertaining stuff for TV poker, I thought.

Gabe Kaplan rules.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:38 PM

Default Re: Hellmuth vs. Ferguson

On the AJ v. AQ hand and K6 v. QQ hand I wanted to shoot Phil the way he jumps out of his seat and quickly pushes all his chips into the pot. What a clown.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On the AJ v. AQ hand and K6 v. QQ hand I wanted to shoot Phil the way he jumps out of his seat and quickly pushes all his chips into the pot. What a clown.

[/ QUOTE ]

was it me or did Ferguson fall for the trap every time. Hellmuth would shove shove shove, then get 99 and limp, and Ferguson would think, oh he's weak! and shove himself. Darn, he's got a pair. Oh, he limped again! I have K6s, i'll shove! Darn, he's got a pocket pair again! How could I have known?!
Old 05-22-2005, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

was it me or did Ferguson fall for the trap every time. Hellmuth would shove shove shove, then get 99 and limp, and Ferguson would think, oh he's weak! and shove himself. Darn, he's got a pair. Oh, he limped again! I have K6s, i'll shove! Darn, he's got a pocket pair again! How could I have known?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Ferguson should never make any moves, and always assume Phil has a pair when he limps. Gimme a break.
Old 05-22-2005, 04:22 PM

uh it seemed like when they played a small pot deep CF could bluff Hellmuth or lose a much smaller pot but the all in business was terrible for CF.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:32 PM

I really don't think that Phil cares about the y'all criticizing him on an internet message board. He won 500 grand for defeating six people heads-up on national television. He may be used to the pressure that the cameras bring, but he was obviously upset over the bad beat that Ferguson gave him in the second round. When you go on-tilt, you can just stop playing for a few hours, but he had a matter of minutes to return to the poker room and continue play.

I believe that Phil played his cards pretty well. There are other ways to win heads-up than playing by what Sklansky writes. If Phil wants to play his truly awful hands and great hands the same way pre-flop, what's wrong with that? If he catches a middle or high pocket pair and throws in a huge raise, he will cause his opponent to either fold, call and play more passively on the flop, or re-raise to the point that one of them is crippled at the end of the hand. Phil generally enjoys playing lots of hands lets his opponent bet for him, which worked perfectly against Chris "Jesus" Ferguson.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
uh it seemed like when they played a small pot deep CF could bluff Hellmuth or lose a much smaller pot but the all in business was terrible for CF.

[/ QUOTE ]

For anyone with any SNG experience, Chris Ferguson's strategy should have been very familiar.

The push with K6s is almost automatic from the SB in that spot. Against a player like Phil that is going to fold 80% of the hands he limps with, its a pretty easy raise from the BB there as well.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sometimes, just sometimes, they might edit stuff for TV. Just a thought.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

agree....this is sooooo gay. this ranks up there with calling yourself "the grinder, i'm a machine"
Old 05-22-2005, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

5. Phil's muck of a set of tens was abysmal. There's $75K in the pot, and the bet is $30K. He has TT, and the board shows AKJT7, no flush draw. He tanks, FOLDS, and then shows it? Come on. This is a bad fold, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Horrible, horrible fold. I suspect, however, that we'd be hearing about what a genius he is if Jesus had actually had a Q.