Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 01:54 AM

Default Something I\'ve noticed.

Poor players seem to either way over-estimate or under-estimate their opponent's hand. Weak/tight players often think that their opponent has a monster and loose/aggressive players either under-estimate their opponents hand or completely disregard that their opponent even has a hand.

Example: A friend and I were playing 3/6 in B&M and the following hand came up.
<font color="blue">
UTG (weak/tight) limps.
MP (friend) raises AK.
Folded to UTG who calls.

Flop: KT2
UTG checks, friend bets, UTG calls.

Turn: blank

River: blank

UTG shows AA and wins the pot.
</font>
After the hand UTG says to my friend "I thought you had the other aces." Not only a over-estimation but also a terrible excuse of how UTG played his hand. Many other times weak/tighties have told me they put me on much better hands than I had when I played the hand standardly.

On the other end of the spectrum are the (bad) LAGs. I was watching a friend play .5/1 on party and he capped an AKQT4 board with AQ every street. He was literally amazed when villan showed JX for the straight. I told him afterwards that you don't cap with two pair on a four-straight board. His response: "But I had two pair, that's a good hand." What do you think villan's capping with, [censored]? He couldn't understand that you're not playing a game of "good hands always win."

That's my observation for the day.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:09 AM

Default Re: Something I\'ve noticed.

Um... duh?
Old 05-20-2005, 02:10 AM

Oh, and don't be tapping on that glass, foo
Old 05-20-2005, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and don't be tapping on that glass, foo

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks. I would have had you not posted this. <font color="white"> Jackass. </font>

Seriously don't ever respond to one of my posts again with this kind of crap. Actually, just don't respond.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:18 AM

He made the only two replies to this post possible. You have noted that bad players play poorly, and that tried to improve their play by being a table coach. nh
Old 05-20-2005, 03:34 AM

He was talking to two FRIENDS about this topic. If it were people he didn't even know, then I could understand not giving advice. But these are friends.

Seriously, some people are way too paraoid with "tapping the glass". It's not like you're going to instantly make that person a TAG and they will spread the advice and the entire poker community will all be TAGs.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:53 AM

When did I table coach anyone, ever? Show me that part of my post. The only time I gave advice was to a friend playing .5/1.

Maybe what my post was a bit n00balicious. The main reason I posted it is because I learned about why weak/tighties and LAGs play the way they do. I always knew that "bad" players misplayed hands, but I recently realized what their mindset is. Hopefully one person on this board learned something from my post. For the rest of you, sorry for wasting your time.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:55 AM

Bah, sorry, thought you were talking to some random LAG with AQ. Coast to Coast AM makes my brain retarded. I always assume friends of 2+2 ers aren't making those plays.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When did I table coach anyone, ever? Show me that part of my post. The only time I gave advice was to a friend playing .5/1.

Maybe what my post was a bit n00balicious. The main reason I posted it is because I learned about why weak/tighties and LAGs play the way they do. I always knew that "bad" players misplayed hands, but I recently realized what their mindset is. Hopefully one person on this board learned something from my post. For the rest of you, sorry for wasting your time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked your post and even showed it to a few friends. I don't know what the other guy's problem is.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:34 AM

One characteristic of bad players that you alluded to but didn't really elaborate on is that they see their hand in a vacuum. I find this type of player in B&amp;Ms a lot. Some stay as long as they have outs, even though with some contemplation they would realize that a) the odds of hitting are dead slim and b) they are likely already drawing dead. They get raised on the turn holding 3rd pair and they call, then raise on the river when they catch 2 pair, giving them 3rd and 4th pair. They get raised back and call that. Stuff like that. I guess once people start taking the board into consideration they become that scared "monsters under the bed" type player, only raising when they can definitely beat every single possible hand allowed by the board. Both these types of players fail to consider what kinds of plays their opponents tend to make or what kinds of decisions their opponents have made thus far in the hand.