Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2005, 10:23 PM

Default \"classic\" cars?

I'm *sorta* in the market for a new/used car. Thinking about it, but not really looking hard, could stay with my current car for an indefinite amount of time... anyways...

I was driving today and saw a sweet looking jag parked on the side of the road for sale. Just because it was so clean i turned around to check it out.

It's a 1987 XJ6 with 34k original miles on it. The paint, interior and engine look clean as f*ck. 97xx asking price (don't know if that's a good deal or not, haven't researched yet). She claims she has lots (5 cars) and really takes care of them and alternates between them and that this was her "fancy" car that she wouldn't drive very often and now she is moving and adopting a kid and will be need to get a van or suv.

anyways that [censored] was sick, but i don't really know anything about older/classic (i guess its not really classic, but has that classic look to it, and probably will be a classic in a few years).

All of this got me thinking maybe I should search for a clean ass older car to pimp with...

How good of an idea is it to buy a older/classic kinda car for your main means of transportation? Does anyone drive something like that regularly? by this i mean substantially older car, but keep it in excellent shape and plan to keep it for many years in hopes of retaining possibly gaining some value.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:26 PM

Location: They call Los Angeles the City of Angels. I didn\'t find it to be that exactly, but I\'ll allow as there are some nice folks there.
Default Re: \"classic\" cars?

'87 Jag? I don't care how nice it looks or how low the mileage is, it is going to cost a fortune to keep that thing running.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:29 PM

why, are those notoriously problematic? or just because parts would be expensive. I know nothing about jags (except that i think this was before the Ford buyout...could be wrong), and this has just inspired me to be open to more "classic" cars possibly. But i'm not sure how good of an idea that is
Old 05-17-2005, 10:42 PM

Location: They call Los Angeles the City of Angels. I didn\'t find it to be that exactly, but I\'ll allow as there are some nice folks there.

my gut reaction was that Jag's are notoriously unreliable and expensive to mantain. And I generally assume that all cars from the 80's are crap.

But I did a little googling and the reviews don't sound bad at all. Routine maintenance will of course be pricier than if you pick up a less exotic car that is less than ten years old. I have a friend who had one of these, but I don't know what year it was. PM me if you want his email address.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:57 PM

the nice Jags boast the 12 cylinder.

this pos may look like a classic but like stranger says. this will cost you an arm and a leg more than $10k over 5 years. this is probably the real reason she's dumping it
Old 05-17-2005, 10:59 PM

I thought that these were the generation of jag-offs that had all the electrical problems, but I could be wrong. Certainly a good-looking car, however.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:05 PM

the jag will cost a fortune to keep running- they're known to be very problematic.

I have never owned a new car- i currently own a '73 VW bus that i got for $2200 and am restoring as time and cashflow permits. i'd highly reccomend buying something 'classic' (pre-'75 or so) for one big reason- if you take care of 'em they don't depreciate in value. however, i t may be a good idea to also own something newer and reliable for commuting. i live in an urban area and drive about once a week (to the cardrooms, of course). if i had to commute every day, i'd buy a little 'ol toyota pickup or a deisel rabbit or something economical and reliable like that.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:51 AM

Location: Condemned to a lifetime in the kiddie pool, where I will never make moves.

Old 05-18-2005, 09:10 AM

VWs are gay.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:41 PM

Location: Condemned to a lifetime in the kiddie pool, where I will never make moves.

[ QUOTE ]
VWs are gay.

[/ QUOTE ]
Have you ever driven one? New ones don't count.