Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2005, 08:12 PM

Default When throw away Pocket Aces.

There is never a time to throw away pocket Aces in ring games. But in tournaments its appends quite often. Can you give me examples of times you threw way Aces.
Please Visit www.GamblersClick.com
Old 05-17-2005, 08:30 PM

Default Re: When throw away Pocket Aces.

This one time I was in the big blind and this dude in the small blind went all in. He looked at me and smiled meekly showing strength. I knew he had me beat.

And also one time I saw this guys cards, as he went all in. I saw 78s. I knew that the only reason he would go all in is if he was cheating and the flop was 456. I folded my AA.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:01 AM

Although I DIDN'T throw them away here....I certainley gave it a LOT of thought before I got pot committed.

Real life B&M hand....

Turbo Tourney, Structured blinds first 14 hands,
Hero first pos holds AA and raises
villian 1 reraises and is AI
villian II reraises and is Chip leader
villiam III reraises (capped) and is AI
SB/BB fold
Back to hero, nervously calls! leaving 1 chip
Hero Goes AI on flop.

was this the absolute right call with sooo many callers/raisers?

results below:

nobody improved and Hero takes out 2 players and is new chip leader.
Hero goes to restroom to change pants!! LOL
Old 05-18-2005, 12:58 PM

in total sincerity i feel the only time you should consider folding AA preflop is if you are in something like a WSOP satellite tourny, the top 5 get a seat, 6 players are left, only 1 person has you covered and he is all in on top of another player, who is shortstacked.

Obviously, these are not number specific. And yes, i ripped this out of a phil helmuth article...sigh...
Old 05-18-2005, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is never a time to throw away pocket Aces in ring games. But in tournaments its appends quite often. Can you give me examples of times you threw way Aces.

Edited by GamblersClickcom (05/17/05 08:13 PM)

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding aces has never appended anything in its life.

There can be many times when it's appropriate to fold pocket aces in a ring game.

What you mean to say is that there is never a time to fold them preflop in a ring game.

In tournaments, folding aces preflop is still not something that is appropriate "quite often."
Old 05-19-2005, 05:00 PM

Well Sklansky made a very good point in TPFAP. He says, basicly (Not exactly correct but dont have the book here).
Lets say youre in the last table shortstacked with 500 infront of you and 2 others with an average with 1000 and one with around 5000. Now one of the 1k stacks moves all in and the other calls and the big stack moves in!
The best case scenario is that 2 people go broke leaving you with second place and a HUGE amount of money but it doesnt give you a good place to be if you wanna win.
So if first place was 50k, second 35k, third 20k and fourth 15k you just jumped up 20k by just folding the aces (The math is so wrong but I just wanna illustrate my point).
I am sorry if I didnt make that much sense but I am swedish so writing in english can be a bit though at nights like this [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Peace!
Old 05-19-2005, 07:13 PM

Default A case can be argued that throwing Aces away was correct here...

It was a "Survivor" tournament. With this format, we played a normal NLHE multitable tournament. When we got down to the final six players, action would end.

At that point everyone got the same amount of chips and a chip was worth a real dollar amount. Everyone had the option to cash in for the buy-in at that point. Then the tournament would run again. At the end of every level, the short stack had the option of cashing out for whatever they had in front of them or continuing onward. If you busted out at any point, you got nothing.

Well, here's the deal: There are seven people left. A few are short-stacked. To my left is one such person. To my right is the chip leader and he was leading by a large margin. I have more than the short-stacks but not much more.

I am in the BB. The shortstack to my left goes all-in UTG for about $7,000 in chips. EVeryone folds until it gets to the chip leader. He says, "I haven't even looked at my cards yet but I'm calling." His reasoning was that he had a lot of chips to burn and getting rid of one more person would finally allow the tournament to hit the "Survivor" status when everyone would be even again. So he calls her blind.

I am last to act and I look down. Pocket Aces.

Now I didn't think of the raqmifications of this format when I went all-in. I just saw Aces and instinctively pushed.

However it could be argued that I should have folded because I actually had ONE LESS CHIP than UTG. So if I lost to her or we both lost to big stack, I was out first with less chips - 7th place which means zero.

If I got out of the way and big stack eliminates short stack, I am in the final six and back to even.

Even if short stack wins it I still have a round of betting before the blinds hit me again so I can wait it out (there were people worse than myself around the table with the blinds approaching them) until one of them has to push.

So in that case, maybe folding Aces would have been best. But instinct took over and I pushed.

UTG had something like KQs and the big stack who called blind actually turned over a weak Ace. An Ace hit so I wound up with a winning boat but the big stack would have won without my endangering it.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this look like spam, thinly disguised as a "provocative" question, to anyone else?
Old 05-19-2005, 08:13 PM

First hand of a tournament. UTG goes all-in. Eight callers. You look down and you have rockets.

The best move is to fold. You are a huge underdog here. If the name of Poker is to get your money in with the best chance of winning, you can do a lot better than this.

Of course this hypothetical is exactly that - a hypothetical. It does lead to the honest question of how many people have to be in the pot before folding rockets is the best move. Five? Six? What's the magic number where folding is better because you will be in better position with less competition - even with a lessor hand?
Old 05-20-2005, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

First hand of a tournament. UTG goes all-in. Eight callers. You look down and you have rockets.

The best move is to fold. You are a huge underdog here.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.