Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2005, 04:41 PM

Default Chris Ferguson and open-limping

Jesus says that open-limping is "never, ever" a good play (in limit or no-limit). It seems to me that there must be situations when open-limping is sound. I did a search here and on Google and couldn't find any arguments refuting his strategy. Is he wrong? If so, how wrong is he?
Old 05-11-2005, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Chris Ferguson and open-limping

IMHO he's wrong. I think there are alot of situations where open limping is fine i.e. 66 UTG and deep stacks, 89s in the CO and deep stacks, I could name a bunch, but I think you get the idea.

Gavin
Old 05-11-2005, 04:51 PM

With Chris's image open limping would never be good. If your tight aggressive and only playing a small percentage of hands then limping is poor.

If you Laggy and getting involved in lots of pots then occasionally limping can throw off your opponents.

In general habitual open limping is bad.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:52 PM

I just posted a thread about openlimping. I think that it can be argued that with stacks < 40bb, openlimping from MP or later is probably almost always wrong (unless you are setting a trap for a very aggressive player behind you).
Old 05-11-2005, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just posted a thread about openlimping. I think that it can be argued that with stacks < 40bb, openlimping from MP or later is probably almost always wrong (unless you are setting a trap for a very aggressive player behind you).

[/ QUOTE ]

But if you follow this mentality, don't you have to do it at least some of the time with 98s style hands so that you're not terribly readable?
Old 05-11-2005, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

for what its worth, i limp w/ AK/QQ about the same amount of time as i do w/ something like 98s and 55. Its not often, but it happens on occassion.

But if you follow this mentality, don't you have to do it at least some of the time with 98s style hands so that you're not terribly readable?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-11-2005, 05:41 PM

if you are concerned with metagame (i.e. you play with this person more than this tourney, or you are at the table long enough for Shania to matter)
Old 05-11-2005, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't agree with that. Suppose stacks are 35xBB and the players to act behind you are generally weak-passive. Then with 22, for example, why would you do anything other than open-limp?
Old 05-11-2005, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't agree with that. Suppose stacks are 35xBB and the players to act behind you are generally weak-passive. Then with 22, for example, why would you do anything other than open-limp?

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't get paid when you flop a set? I dunno, I guess you can steal postflop liberally though, which makes any 2 viable then...
Old 05-11-2005, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you don't get paid when you flop a set? I dunno, I guess you can steal postflop liberally though, which makes any 2 viable then...

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly the opposite.

I said "weak-passive", not "tight-passive".