Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2005, 11:50 PM

Default bruiser vs. diablo

on the river i think he has me beat, is it possible to fold or do i just have to see a showdown? opponent is diablo who is playing kind of LAG and weird.

PokerStars 30/60 Hold'em (4 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (6.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.25 BB
Old 05-10-2005, 11:56 PM

Default Re: bruiser vs. diablo

[ QUOTE ]
on the river i think he has me beat, is it possible to fold or do i just have to see a showdown? opponent is diablo who is playing kind of LAG and weird.

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (4.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (6.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Comments on the river play: He knows what you have when you check. Therefore you must call or raise. If my image was weak, I would raise. If my image is what it usually is, I would call. I think raising here rules because he will fold a lot of hands fearing that you've owned him while not giving you credit for having the balls to check-raise less than AK on the river.
-James
Old 05-10-2005, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Comments on the river play: He knows what you have when you check. Therefore you must call or raise. If my image was weak, I would raise. If my image is what it usually is, I would call. I think raising here rules because he will fold a lot of hands fearing that you've owned him while not giving you credit for having the balls to check-raise less than AK on the river.
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I'm not a badass. I have never checkraised this river in my entire life.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:06 AM

It's certainly not a default play, but on boards like this against thinking players, you aren't winning the hand by betting the river. A play I'll occasionally make against weak-tight over-thinkers is this:

Let's say I have AK, and a decent but "try too hard" type of guy raises from LMP. I three-bet out of the SB and we take a 3 way flop of 225. I bet, bb folds, CO calls. Turn is a 3, bet-call. River is a T. He doesn't have a T. He almost always has AQ, AK or a small pair. So I'll check-raise, making it "obvious" that I have the big pair and that I've owned him. He'll be smart enough to value bet his small pair but not smart enough to realize that I know he has a small pair. But anyways, that's a lot of blab. Just sayin sometimes you gotta get in there with bluff check-raises in hands where your hand has marginal showdown value where it's apparent you are beat by the time the river comes off.

But anyway, Diablo is smart enough to see through this from an opponent whom he deems as tough and tricky, b ut I doubt he thinks bruiser is capable of this, which is why I suggest raise.
-James
Old 05-11-2005, 12:05 AM

STFU James. Like you've ever checkraised me w/ JJ on this river. You think I stop playing limit for a while and all of a sudden show up w/ 88 here? Or start folding AT? Come on, man, get real.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
STFU James. Like you've ever checkraised me w/ JJ on this river. You think I stop playing limit for a while and all of a sudden show up w/ 88 here? Or start folding AT? Come on, man, get real.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't, but I havent' played you in ages. I do know that when we used to log a lot of hands together and post hands in HUSH, that we both agreed that when relatively straightforward opponents check-raise you on the river and you have a mediocre one pair, that it is an easy fold. Please don't make me go dig up the thread.
-James
Old 05-11-2005, 12:10 AM

Also, in 4 handed hold 'em, it is far from out of the question that you could have a pair less than Aces on the river. If not, then you are certainly setting yourself up to be run over.
-James
Old 05-11-2005, 12:13 AM

just put put Diablo's name in the title and 8 responses right away. good posts james
Old 05-11-2005, 05:37 PM

i called and this clown had some sort of trash like A6o
Old 05-11-2005, 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
then you are certainly setting yourself up to be run over.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a lot of facets of my game that suck. That's not one of them.