Mrs. Robinson - Simon and Garfunkel 103 55.38%
Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison 83 44.62%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-09-2005, 09:57 PM

Default PTO autorate poll

I'm curious as to how many are actually using my ruleset from this 2+2 post :
Old 05-20-2005, 10:43 AM

Default Re: PTO autorate poll

I tried importing your rules but I must have done something wrong. When I go to import the file, it says that it imported successfully but all the fields remain blank. Any ideas?
Old 05-20-2005, 10:47 AM

I had the same problem at first. Then, I compared rules I'd exported to the rules I got here, and noticed that the formatting had been changed due to posting on the board. So, I edited his rules so that the formatting matched, and everything worked fine since.

Edit: I think the issue is that some of the things that come out as spaces when you cut/paste from the board really want to be tabs instead.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:24 AM

L0QTiS,

I have been using your rules. Have you modified any of your criteria recently?

As I get more and more data, I find there is some overlap in terms of people that are hard to fit into a category...for example (good player, tight aggressive, "money bags"...)

I'm starting to think that there isn't much difference at this point with a lot of these characterizations.

Does a fish act that much different than a calling station?

Have you given this any thought recently?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 05-21-2005, 11:36 PM

If anyone is interested in this ruleset and having trouble with formatting, please PM me with your email address and I'll send it as an attachment.

As of yet, I have not updated the set from it's original form. I never actually defined a "calling station" but I agree, there is quite a bit of overlap with many of my established characterizations.

To be honest, my goal for this set was simply to get things started given the lack of anyting else at the time. I am open to suggestions. By all means, take this as a springboard for better rulesets, and I encourage you all to publish your sets and commentary.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:20 PM

A couple of comments:

I was using the default rules.

1) I went from a Mouse to a "Good Player", so that's good...

2) Where did all the fish go? Many of the "Dice" turned to fish, but many of the actuall fish turned to other things. For example, the biggest loser at my site, the guy I follow around, is now an elephant (Loose/fair). Over a thousand hands he has consistantly lost 10 per 100. He's a fish.

3) Aggression has to be a factor.

I am fairly new to the program, so this is all I have to offer so far. I hope my input is worthwile.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A couple of comments:

I was using the default rules.

1) I went from a Mouse to a "Good Player", so that's good...

2) Where did all the fish go? Many of the "Dice" turned to fish, but many of the actuall fish turned to other things. For example, the biggest loser at my site, the guy I follow around, is now an elephant (Loose/fair). Over a thousand hands he has consistantly lost 10 per 100. He's a fish.

3) Aggression has to be a factor.

I am fairly new to the program, so this is all I have to offer so far. I hope my input is worthwile.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been using PTO since the very beginning, so I wasn't even aware there was a default set. In looking over said default set, this was clearly developed for Holdem, and not Omaha - in fact, it's the same one as PTH.

As I said in my above post, we really need to abandon the holdem ratings mindset and come up with something fresh. IMO, there really isn't any comparison between the two.

FWIW - the players in my database whom have lost the most rate mostly as fish and elephants...
Old 05-28-2005, 01:18 PM

I have been using a modified version of the autorate rules, but have found i don't use them extensively because there are more winning styles in O8 than Holdem.

Basically, I have 4 categories of VPIP, 2 categories of W$SD, 2 categories of post-flop agression, and 3 judgement-based catchalls (for high preflop aggression with good/bad postflop play, and off the scales fishy)

It's not perfect tho and i still want to make some modifications to it. Reply or PM me if you want to discuss further as i'm interested in tweaking it.

--G
Old 05-27-2005, 08:42 PM

IMO, if you're a PL player, the autorate is useless. My reasoning is that I have stats showing winning players with VPIP/PFR's of as high as 65/20 and low as 16/0. I also have stats showing losing players with virtually identical stats. Thus is seems that autorate isn't a useful crutch. I basically use winrate, VPIP, and PFR as my indicators, and those are just exported to notes so I can scoll over a given opponent to get a rough idea of the type of action I should expect from them. Another key indicator is Chk-raise%. Over 1% is a tricky player, under 1% is a guy who can always be bluffed when he checks to you and you're in position.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:06 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

The only issue I have is this:

What about when you're playing a full-ring game and everyone winds up checking it down to the river, and then you lose. It comes out as a "loss" in your stats, although it's impact on you financially and play-wise isn't realistically that bad for you.

But it winds up hurting your stats as much as any other "loss". Then again, I have less than 1,000 hands in PTO because I haven't had the chance to purchase the license. So hopefully that will change over time.

I started with $75 and I'm up to $270 within a weeks time playing lower limits, although did some 1/2 and 2/4 because of some other things going on (you'd need to check out my post about my sessions in these games)

But anyway, PTO with your rules is showing me as "loose/bad", because I've got:

VPIP: 22.98
Won$aSD: 51.09