Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2005, 05:30 PM

Default How deep, before you fold AA, if ever? Am I just a pussy? Probably.

Okay, so the subject says it all. I've already come to terms with the fact that probably every person who responds to this thread will respond with "Don't play poker, if your such a f*cking girl"...I guess I was just wondering if anyone else out there is a scared little bitch like me who plays limits that are too high for them.

I was sitting at a $2/$5 NL, $100-$300 buyin and I was up to about $500. This was after playing $3/6 earlier and building up to around $450 and then cashing out only $290. We were leaving soon, and I was happy to have made back the money I lost from my peak at $3/6.

$2/5 is the highest NL I have ever played, and $500 is the most I have ever had on a table at once, short of a extremely hot $4/8 session once.

So I started thinking...if the guy accross the table sitting with $1500 was to move all in preflop, and I looked down to Aces, with $500 in front of me, I am not sure if I could call. Maybe if they were black aces...

Momentarily after thinking this, I slapped myself and realised I have to call, or I would not be able to sleep that night...but seriously I dont think I could stomach losing $500 in one hand. Now obviously this means I was playing above my comfort levels and I'm sure the responses will be something like I should just stop playing poker and kill myself.

Regardless, has anyone else been at a table with way too much money for them to feel comfortable and seriously considered folding Aces preflop?
Old 05-08-2005, 05:34 PM

Default Re: How deep, before you fold AA, if ever? Am I just a pussy? Probably

And the award for biggest F*cking [censored] at the two plus two forums goes to....

JUMPTHRU!

Congrats buddy.
Old 05-08-2005, 05:40 PM

Not folding AA peflop, but I've talked over situations with a close friend about certains situation where I would be faced wit putting in a lot of money at a hgiher limit than I am used to playing and if I were playing the normal limit I play I wouldn't even hesitate whereas here I would. He and I both agreed that if you feel that way you should get up from that limit and go to where you are comfortable. Only problem is I play better when I have more money involved. But that's besides the point. No one is going to tell you to kill yourself, however, most will tell you to rack up asap. There is no point in playing in a game where the money matters to you and where you aren't willing to take one of the greatest situations in holdem.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:36 AM

I havent read this thread at all, but this post is kind of funny because I some guy do this. I was in the 20 game at the Stone and I there was this huge commotion at the no limit game because some guy moved all in before the flop and the last one to act mucked aces face up. That had to be the stupidest thing I have ever seen when it comes to poker.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:27 AM

But seriously though, what hand in poker do you strive to get every hand. What hand would you love to have and see someone go all in infront of you? Seriously man my sister could have made this call. No offence but if you cant stand the heat- stay out of the kitchen.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I havent read this thread at all, but this post is kind of funny because I some guy do this. I was in the 20 game at the Stone and I there was this huge commotion at the no limit game because some guy moved all in before the flop and the last one to act mucked aces face up. That had to be the stupidest thing I have ever seen when it comes to poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why didn''t the guy just wear a sign around his neck that said, "I am the biggest puzzy to ever play poker".
Old 05-09-2005, 02:43 AM

I was playing 10-25 nl at foxwoods, this game isnt held usually, however this was a tournament weekend so it was there.
I have KQ on the button with about $20k
and this lil weenie lil sh*t with about $15k makes it 500 to go in MP. Now this looked to me who did not want any action at all, so i figured he might have sometin like 10-10 and just wanted the blinds. I raised to like 3k. He raised to 7k,I pushed(horrible push but watever,lets assume i was drunk.)He thinks for like an eternity, and mucks AhAs face up. I was just shocked, I mean folding AA preflop is the definition of "lil weenie scared sh*t" but folding AA preflop FACE UP!! I started laughing and said..."good fold, i had 3 of those guys."
It just seems like committing poker suicide, folding AA preflop FACE UP!!!
Guess what happens in the following few hours, every1 puts him all in on everyhand they're in and he folds, until he's down to like 2k and then he flops the top boat, and on the river he has like 1k left and the other guy pushes..he thinks for like 5 min before he calls, saying "U have quads dont u"
Old 05-09-2005, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I started laughing and said..."good fold, i had 3 of those guys."

[/ QUOTE ]

nh
Old 05-09-2005, 04:11 AM

I CLEARLY agree that it is a major mistake to ever fold aces like I described.

However.

I guess I am wondering, pretend you started at whatever limit you usually play $.10/.25 or $25/50 or whatever. By some chance of fate you end up building your stack to some huge size and you move up to the next biggest game. And then the next.

There has to be some number where you wouldn't call preflop with AA for your entire stack.

This is synonimous (sp?) to Brunson (in super system) proposing the question, would you risk everything you have, your house, your car, your savings account--everything: if you were given 2-1 odds. Most wouldn't. (Bruson said he would).

Have any of you ever built up a stack so large that you reached that magic number? In other words has anyone ever made so much one night at a table (or moving up to the next level, up and up), that they were uncomfortable with the amount of money on the table in front of them (so to fold AA preflop)?
Old 05-09-2005, 09:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was playing 10-25 nl at foxwoods, this game isnt held usually, however this was a tournament weekend so it was there.
I have KQ on the button with about $20k
and this lil weenie lil sh*t with about $15k makes it 500 to go in MP. Now this looked to me who did not want any action at all, so i figured he might have sometin like 10-10 and just wanted the blinds. I raised to like 3k. He raised to 7k,I pushed(horrible push but watever,lets assume i was drunk.)He thinks for like an eternity, and mucks AhAs face up. I was just shocked, I mean folding AA preflop is the definition of "lil weenie scared sh*t" but folding AA preflop FACE UP!! I started laughing and said..."good fold, i had 3 of those guys."
It just seems like committing poker suicide, folding AA preflop FACE UP!!!
Guess what happens in the following few hours, every1 puts him all in on everyhand they're in and he folds, until he's down to like 2k and then he flops the top boat, and on the river he has like 1k left and the other guy pushes..he thinks for like 5 min before he calls, saying "U have quads dont u"

[/ QUOTE ]

Can this possibly be true??!!?? If so, that is abslotuley, positively the most pathetic thing I have ever heard in my life. It's one thing to fold the rockets PF when you don't feel like gambling your whole stack. But to fold them AFTER you've already put half your stack in the middle!!??
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]