Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2005, 03:08 PM

Default ADD and Poker

I just purchased ADD on the Job by Lynn Weiss, Ph. D. Much in this book resonates with me and gives me hope that I can one day find a work environment that will meet my needs. What brings me to post about it on 2+2, though, is the following passage:

[ QUOTE ]
The same trait of hypersensitivity, though, probably makes you good at figuring out all kinds of problems. When you are talking to others, you can figure out a lot about them by what they're saying. Also, you are sensitive to what they don't tell you; you can even pick up on things the don't necessarily want you to know about. You often can figure out the next move someone else is going to make.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've written in the margin, "poker!".

Also, elsewhere she discusses keeping your hands busy while trying to pay attention in a meeting. I think this is why I find myself much more attentive at B&M poker than online; I can play with the chips all day.

Discuss. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-----
Note: I searched for ADHD -- "ADD" seemed useless as a search term -- and found this thread, which wasn't really on my topic: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...art=1&vc=1

Keywords: ADHD, Attention Deficit Disorder
Old 05-07-2005, 03:27 PM

Default Re: ADD and Poker

I swear i have ADD, because my mind is always wondering off when i'm at the table, or anywhere else. Whenever i feel like 'im going to think about something else within 10 other things, i'll pinch my leg and i'm back at the table. Sometimes, i'll walk away limping. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

This book seems interesting... i might pick it up later
Old 05-07-2005, 03:59 PM

Find a job you love doing.

There's nothing else to it...
Old 05-08-2005, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you make that sound a lot easier than it is
Old 05-08-2005, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you make that sound a lot easier than it is

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep... Like saying that poker's easy. You just have to figure out how your opponent[s] would play if they could see your cards, and then induce them to do the opposite. Nothing to it.

I appreciate the well-intentioned advice, and if I can figure out how to get paid to do something i love (besides play poker!) then i will certainly take that advice to heart. Maybe that's fodder for another thread.
Old 05-08-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if I can figure out how to get paid to do something i love

[/ QUOTE ]

So what is it that you love doing?
Old 05-09-2005, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So what is it that you love doing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well... in some sense that's the problem, as i love lots of things. Or at least i find lots of things interesting, although i'm not sure if i LOVE any of them enough to sustain a career.

To hijack the question a bit to make it relevant to others, though, what i love about poker is (1) analytical thinking (2)observation of other people with a goal of predicting their actions. From the book I mentioned at the outset, it seems that ADD people make good counselors and therapists for reasons corresponding to (2), and obviously to some extent (1). Counseling, broadly speaking, is a career i've thought of; perhaps it merits further consideration?
Old 05-07-2005, 04:06 PM

I have been diagnosed ADD. This post intrigued me very much. Until recently, I have not had any medication to help fix the problem, but here I am now, 20 years old and taking ridalin. You mentioned that you can play with your chips all day at a b-m cardroom. Personally, I can't stand not fidgiting in real life, but in poker, I will riffle my chips from the instant I fold to the instant my next cards are dealt. I never riffle them during a hand. It has been said that when there is a talky player at the table, his tell is when he shuts up. The same goes for riffling chips. If you do it all the time, the tell is when you stop. In the post you linked to, one of the people talked about a cue to come back to attention. That could be a tool for you to use not only at the beginning of the hand, but during the hand as well. Sometimes I have to look at my cards once every street to remember what I have. I frequently have to actually speak my card values in my mind to remember them. The best thing to do I think, is to create a script in your head (play by play, etc.) for awhile, and then it should become easier as the script is learned. Also, making book at the table may help.

I know this was a little random, but I hope it helps. Good Luck
Old 05-08-2005, 01:28 PM

Hey, do the drugs help? I was just diagnosed with ADD at age 36. I havent started the drugs yet but I will in about 2 weeks. I sure hope the drugs help because I am one fidgety guy. lol.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey, do the drugs help? I was just diagnosed with ADD at age 36. I havent started the drugs yet but I will in about 2 weeks. I sure hope the drugs help because I am one fidgety guy. lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

I take Concerta and I'm still working on the right dose. I take the 54mg now and don't seem to be getting the expected or desired results. Next dose is 72mg and for some reason I'm a bit hesitant. I don't think the results would outweigh the other things that go along with it. I might try another Rx such as Adderall and see if that helps get the desired effects.

Also, check out this site ADD forums