Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2005, 08:20 AM

Default 6max noob, $1-$2, 17k hand sample, pfr% and blind defence question?

currently playing 6max, 1-2, ub.

VP$I = 18.01
PFR= 13.65
BB100= 3.75
ATSB= 20.01

This is a small sample at around 17k hands.

as you can see i play super tight in the blinds.
Instinctivly i find myself giving up my small blind the majority of the time, rather than play a marginal hand, out of position.

I can see that this type of play could be easily exploited by aggressive sb and cutoff raisers. also have concerns that looking at blind defence from a positonal pov over an equity pov could have negative longterm implications.

all of this considered does anyone think that playing this tight in the blinds, in a 1-2 game, for someone new to 6max, is a good idea?

also my vp$i.......
If i were to play "properly" in the blinds would this bring my vp$i closer to the 22-25 mark.

please bear in mind im new to 6max.
Im playing as tight as poss to while tryin to learn the nuances of the game in the hope that i can learn to play more hands profitably

thanks,
sd
Old 05-07-2005, 08:23 AM

Default Re: 6max noob, $1-$2, 17k hand sample, pfr% and blind defence question

[ QUOTE ]

Im playing as tight as poss to while tryin to learn the nuances of the game in the hope that i can learn to play more hands profitably

[/ QUOTE ]

Quit it. Just play poker instead. You are way too tight both in and out of the blinds. My full ring VPIP is 2 points higher than your 6-max VPIP.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:46 AM

your right jeff.
i have seen a lot of winning players with full ring vp figures over 20% which by compariosn makes my figures look laughable.

that said, im intetrested in peoples thoughts as to whether or not this could be a long term winning strategy in a low limit 6max game. Id obviously get crucified at 5-10 and above if i tried to play like this.

thanks,
sd
Old 05-07-2005, 10:43 AM

Take this with a huge grain of salt, as this is coming from someone who is losing at the moment.

I am becoming increasingly convinced that one should play tighter, if not less aggressive, at the lower limits. From what I hear about higher limits, the lower limits have a lot more calling stations. So bets at lower limits become value bets more than anything else. I feel like I've lost a lot of $ betting at pots, vainly hoping people will realize that they should release their bottom pairs when the board is coordinated, etc.

With regard to the blinds, I think that people defend a lot more at lower limits, requiring that you have better hands with which to attempt steals.

Your current stats do seem on the extreme of tightness, but I think that your basic concept of playing tight might be a winning one at 1/2 six-max.

Of course, I repeat that I'm losing right now, so don't put too much stock in what I think.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With regard to the blinds, I think that people defend a lot more at lower limits, requiring that you have better hands with which to attempt steals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you like to have position and initiative against predictable players with weak hands?
Old 05-07-2005, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Take this with a huge grain of salt, as this is coming from someone who is losing at the moment.

I am becoming increasingly convinced that one should play tighter, if not less aggressive, at the lower limits. From what I hear about higher limits, the lower limits have a lot more calling stations. So bets at lower limits become value bets more than anything else. I feel like I've lost a lot of $ betting at pots, vainly hoping people will realize that they should release their bottom pairs when the board is coordinated, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't you actually want to play more hands against players who tend to make alot of mistakes postflop?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Against someone defending too much his blinds meaning he plays bad pre-flop and given his bad post-flop play, wouldn't you prefer to raise (more as a value bet and not as steal attempt) with more hands (not crap hands of course)?

Note that these are questions and I would appreciate to hear responses from other experienced 1/2 players.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:05 AM

I understand the logic of wanting to play more hands against people who play badly postflop, and the advantage of position. Perhaps I just am not playing postflop well enough.

But I think it's important to know that, unlike what I presume happens at higher limits, at lower limits you have to showdown best hand a lot. I think that factor justifies a tighter approach.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:44 AM

I am a little tighter then most around here. Most of my hands I am about 21. Recently about 23. These kinds of VPIP has served me well. Some very good players are near 30. I think 26% is very normal for a good player. To me that extra 3% becomes very marginal.
Anyway 18% is too tight. Add hands gradually, search for Alobar recent post on blind stealing(about a week ago) Getting your steal rate up to over 30 will add a lot to your VPIP.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:06 PM

Location: Condemned to a lifetime in the kiddie pool, where I will never make moves.

Loosen up a bit.

What are the games like at UB?