Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 03:40 AM

Default I like this...PVS on Lvl. 4 when well equipped.

[ QUOTE ]
If I had to oversimplify a strategy for levels 1-4 on PartyPoker, it would be: "get ready for level 5".

The huge jump from level 4 to 5 is really the most significant event in party SnGs. If you survive it, you are in great shape to cash.

Therefore, once I get to 1200-1600 chips, I'll be super-tight on level 4. I've already achieved my "goal" of being ready for level 5 and I don't feel the need to risk that for 150 chips.

Even with 900-1100 chips, you can play tight on level 4 if the timing of the blind change is right. If the blinds will go up to 100/200 after passing you, your ~1000 stack will be in good position to steal on level 5 before the blinds hit you again.

I know its hard to laydown hands like AT, but I'm sure you do it all the time on levels 1-3. You don't HAVE TO raise it on level 4. Risking a push might not be worth it, and raising to 300 can get very messy when people call you.

It is often better to pass on good level 4 hands, establish a tight image, and then push any 2 on level 5.

Obviously, it depends on opponents, position, etc. You should still be stealing on level 4, but only if you want to. Don't let the cards dictate your play.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was PhilVS in voltron87's "slumping" thread that is still active, but i dont want to hijack. I think this is a gem, but was too damn buried.

The idea that, if you already have >T1200, you are better off just assuring your stack remains at a reasonable level, enough that you have FE, and will still have FE even if you have to pay the blinds once in level 5. That winning some chips in level 4 is somewhat benificial, but losing some chips is very detrimental.

Can anyone add to this? Does anyone disagree? Discuss.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:00 AM

Default Re: I like this...PVS on Lvl. 4 when well equipped.

I saw that too, and have been thinking about it a lot. Trying to implement it while playing, see how it works out. I noticed that a lot of time by level 5, my opponents were starting to call with all kinds of stuff. Not questionable calls like QJ, but outright awful calls with J3o. I've only tried Phil's strategy 5 or 6 times since reading it, but so far it's seemed to work well. Opponents are folding more to me in level 5+. I don't know if it's actually the case or just a placebo effect, but it sure looks that way. Also, I admit that the sample size is nothing from which to make conclusions. Still, I think it's a good idea, and I'd like to see what others have to say about it.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:34 AM

i made a lot of very good preflop calls with hands worse than J3o in level 5 today.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i made a lot of very good preflop calls with hands worse than J3o in level 5 today.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please post them.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:32 PM

you're not serious right?

the point i was making was that J3o is not an awful call-an-all-in/push hand without context.

posting examples is silly since you should be able to come up with these scenarios yourself.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:35 AM

One thing I try to avoid in the $55s and up, is raising to like 2.5-3x the blind in the 50-100 round when I have a medium stack and can't stand a reraise by any of the remaining opponents.

For instance KTo in the cutoff seat and 1300 chips, with all opponents having about 1000. If the blinds are 100-200 it's a clear allin, but I tend to fold in the 50-100 round in this scenario. However based on the hand value, folding would seem improper as the first player to act in a 4 handed battle. Maybe this is a decent example of what PS was talking about.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:04 PM

Dammit mother f*ckers i said DISCUSS !!!
Old 05-05-2005, 07:18 PM

I've been trying to implement this strategy lately as well, and it's working quite well. I was finding that I was running low on FE in later rounds, since I'd been getting aggressive at 50/100, even if I didn't have to. If you suddenly come alive at 100/200, I've found that people tend to back off more and respect your pushes, at least for a little while.

Picking up a few extra blinds at the 100/200 level can really mean the difference between fighting for third, or raping for first.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:32 PM

good strategy, id say pound for pound, i have seen more quality substance from PVS' posts than anyone here. Nicely put Phil!
Old 05-05-2005, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pound for pound, i have seen more quality substance from PVS' posts than anyone here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto that.