Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2005, 04:26 AM

Default Need help accumulating sample size for class project

Cross posted from the Zoo:

Ok, so my group and I have developed a blackjack client/server program. We are giving a presentation tomorrow and need to include a bit about the house advantage. We have nowhere near the sample size we need to make any sort of a conclusive statement about this.

This is where you guys come in. It would be awesome if you could just play about 100 hands or so (is this asking too much?) of blackjack so the server program that's running on my computer can collect data. To do this, you will need the newest version of the Java runtime which can be found here. Next, download the client package from here and unzip it. Once you have the java runtime installed, all you should have to do is double click ECE473Blackjack,jar in the folder you unzipped to and the client should pop up and you should be able to start playing.

Please help us - it would be greatly appreciated. You might find it sort of like playing at CON on 888 days (that's where we got the images). Plus, I assure you, there is no malicious code or interaction of any sort between the server and you. The only information I am logging is the amount you wager and the number of times you win versus the total amount of hands you play.

My group and I greatly appreciate any assistance you can give in this manner. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Comments are also appreciated and welcome.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:52 PM

Default Re: Need help accumulating sample size for class project

I couldnt place a bet or play at all.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I couldnt place a bet or play at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you hit deal after you clicked on the chips? Admittedly, this part sucks about our interface. We didn't have time to do the whole cool chip stacking thing. However, as soon as you click on the chips, look at the little side display and you'll see that your wager has increased... You just have to hit deal to play.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:59 PM

couldn't get it to work
Old 05-04-2005, 04:07 PM

Location: Typing \"nice runner runner\" over and over and over and over and over and over

[ QUOTE ]
couldn't get it to work

[/ QUOTE ]

Your machine is now part of tehmatt's botnet. Have a nice day. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-04-2005, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
couldn't get it to work

[/ QUOTE ]

Your machine is now part of tehmatt's botnet. Have a nice day. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Hah. Nah. Ya there was a problem with the jar file that was distributed. Oh well. Thanks for trying guys.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:17 PM

This doesn't work. I tried it on Linux. That being said you'd be much better suited writing a test suite to do this then trying to solicit people to play. Be a good little programmer and learn to write good test tools. It's important!
Old 05-04-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This doesn't work. I tried it on Linux. That being said you'd be much better suited writing a test suite to do this then trying to solicit people to play. Be a good little programmer and learn to write good test tools. It's important!

[/ QUOTE ]
Doesn't surprise me that it doesn't work on Linux. The class files were compiled on a Windows machine. I already do have a test suite, but I figured it would be more fun to have some people play. We worked pretty hard on this yadda yadda but ya, I just made the test program play 500k hands against the dealer this morning and as it turns out, our house advantage is too high. Oh well. This is what I suspected would happen.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:49 PM

your java sucks then. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-04-2005, 04:53 PM

But it's a money making machine. My friend just busted out and I'm insisting he pay his 1000 dollar debt (he didn't meet the 10000000000x D+B wager requirement).

[ QUOTE ]
your java sucks then.

[/ QUOTE ]
Bah. This is what I get for trying to make this easy for people to try out. When you make a jar file, you have to include the .class files that you intend to use. I'm sure there's some neat workaround for this, but I'm not particularly concerned with catering to Linux users. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Try running WINE or something.