Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2005, 03:12 PM

Default Did I play this right?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (8 handed) converter

CO ($52.7)
Button ($51.8)
Hero ($49.15)
BB ($50)
UTG ($31.55)
UTG+1 ($58.2)
MP1 ($44)
MP2 ($54.4)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero (poster) completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $2.5</font>, CO calls $2.50, Hero calls $2.50.

Flop: ($9) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $8</font>, CO calls $8, Hero calls $43.15 (All-In), BB calls $38.15, CO calls $30.70 (All-In), BB calls [$-48.3] $46.15.

Turn: ($137) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: ($137) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Final Pot: ~$137

(Everyone called)

Here's my thinking. I put the BB on QQ or KK or AA hence the flop cr. I thought CO might have a mid PP but couldnt have caught a piece of that flop. Did I play this right?
Old 05-02-2005, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Did I play this right?

I don't get this. You completed in SB with AA? You limp-called preflop and checked-raised the flop?
Old 05-02-2005, 04:01 PM

I hate that limp and the flopaction.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:13 PM

You're going to lose more money in the long run by limp calling w/ aces. I don't see what it is you're trying to accomplish.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're going to lose more money in the long run by limp calling w/ aces. I don't see what it is you're trying to accomplish.

[/ QUOTE ]
People wonder why Aces always get cracked.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:05 PM

With only two people in the hand, limp calling is a GREAT idea. It accomplishes two very different things:
1. If BB checks, you are now playing a smaller pot that should be easier to control and get away from.
2. If BB raises, you have two options, reraise to get heads up with BB or trap CO, or cold call and play a pot where you know much more information about the aggressor (BB) than he knows about you. Personally I reraise right now and trap some dead money in the pot, then lead the flop, but this hand can be played in many ways.

I'm going to focus on what happened for the remainder of my post, the limp-call of the raise from BB.

Pretty damn good flop for Aces, not only because it makes it unlikely for anyone to have spiked a high set (which BB raising would indicate he has high cards), but also because it is likely to give BB an overpair, and he will probably bet at it like he did (Although it is more likely here that the CO is playing a low pocket pair and hit a set on the flop).

Now to comment on flop play. As I mentioned earlier it is likely that BB has an overpair or at least two overcards to the flop, and will probably bet out, so check-raising is the correct play here in most instances. The cold-call from the CO should be very worrisome... so I don't think you should jam the pot right away, but instead reraise to $22 or so, and after that you're pot stuck [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-02-2005, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With only two people in the hand, limp calling is a GREAT idea.

[/ QUOTE ]
you can't be serious
Old 05-02-2005, 05:21 PM

First off, why do you not want to play aces heads up? You have to isolate. The reason being that you are going to have to act first for the remaining rounds and would rather have to play against one person. That way, you won't get caught so bad against a set.

[ QUOTE ]
The cold-call from the CO should be very worrisome

[/ QUOTE ]

That is why you want to play it against one person. Once he cold calls you are in trouble because any real raise will pretty much get you all-in by the turn and you might be drawing to two outs.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:30 PM

I agree with Doomslice.
The preflop action is OK, you are only up against two opponents and you have a hand that is hard for your opponents to read. A lot of times preflop action can make it obvious that you have Aces or Kings, and opponents can use that information against you. Here you are a bit of a sleeper and should play the hand with confidence. The call from the second player might get me to prefer the $22 raise over the all in.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:20 PM

How can you be a poster in the SB?

Anyways I hate limping in with Aces, even in early position. Get a bet in while you know your ahead in my opinion. One the flop the only thing that could be behind is a small set. I have a feeling one of the players had AK of spades, probably the BB. I am a bit worried about the CO limp/calling with a low pp hoping to spike a set.

However I would probably, barring any solid reads on the opponents, play this flop the same way.