Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2005, 11:35 AM

Default First hand post AQs - big pot

OK, here's my first hand post. What could I have done better? Should I have raised the flop?

Thanks.

Reads:
UTG+1 is sLA-P (only 39 hands)
MP1 is sLP-A (119 hands)

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (11 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 folds, Hero calls, SB calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB folds, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (19.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 31.50 BB
Old 04-29-2005, 11:40 AM

Default Re: First hand post AQs - big pot

I think you need to raise the flop. Even if you are behind here you have 12 outs to the nuts. The rest of the line seems fine to me.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:41 AM

i like how it was played. i don't see raising to protect your hand and you lose value if the [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] comes on the turn and it is checked to you. what's even better is someone does the raising for you [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

then on the river, a full house is a remote possibility, but you have a hand worth showing down, so you want to TRY to see it cheaper than capping, but i think it would be doubtful.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i like how it was played. i don't see raising to protect your hand and you lose value if the [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] comes on the turn and it is checked to you. what's even better is someone does the raising for you [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my thinking at the time. Then when the flush came I was patting myself on the back for letting them bet/raise in front of me. My mood changed considerably after the K fell on the river and they continued to bet/raise. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2005, 11:46 AM

You've got the requisite 3 callers for pumping a flush draw to be +EV. Getting two more SB in from the earlier bettor and caller is better than getting one more from the SB, and there's always the chance you'll get two from the SB.

There's no way you can fold that river. Sucks that you probably got shown the rivered boat (maybe 2).
Old 04-29-2005, 12:08 PM

Grunching.

Welcome to the forums. With like a bajillion freakin' cards giving you the nuts on the turn, raising a little bit of +EV with 3 players; counting just diamonds and tens, you're about 1.2:1 to improve by the riv. With your position, a raise is also good here if you're so inclined to take a free card on the turn. It also helps mask your hand because when you do hit your flush, people with a lower flush (read: MP1) might just be thinking you're on a high king or something.

With your read, I call the riv too because he's certainly projecting that he's not afraid of the two flushes. Without a read otherwise, this would be my default course of action against an unknown, and with your read I like how you played the riv.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:20 PM

raise flop, too many one pair hands will check the turn on a 3-flush.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:47 PM

I agree raising the flop here would be good - you will almost definitely win if you hit a ten or a diamond so you probably have around 45% equity. With 2 already in the pot I think you are better off getting an extra bet from them than trying to get 1 overcall. It also disguises your hand if another diamond comes. Rest of the hand looks good - hopefully your opponents ended up with just trip kings.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:28 PM

i was thinking the same thing
Old 04-29-2005, 12:30 PM

You're probably going to hear "raise the flop" a lot, but I think I'd play it the way you did.

Ram 'n jam on the turn, obviously.

River's a scare, especially if UTG+1 is really a postflop passive. I think you're right to call down, but you certainly can't fold, here.

So, I say nice hand. Results? I put MP1 on KQ or QJ. UTG+1 I think has K-rag, maybe AK, or QT, and you need to update your read on him.