Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2005, 02:18 PM

Default Set of Threes - Monster Pot

CO had made the same raise to $6 with a pair of kings about two orbits ago. His other raises are usually to $4. This raise to $6 indicated a big pair to me. So I decided to try and spike a set and bust him. His flop play made me doubt whether I had the best hand. Is folding even an option here? Please make special note of villian's flop play - it's a very weird line.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (8 handed) converter

UTG ($52.50)
UTG+1 ($120.60)
MP1 ($47.50)
MP2 ($137.40)
CO ($201.60)
Hero ($111.70)
SB ($72.40)
BB ($7.30)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls $1, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $6</font>, Hero calls $6, SB calls $5.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG folds, MP2 calls $5.

Flop: ($26) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets $5</font>, CO calls $5, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $28</font>, SB calls $28, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $195.6</font>, Hero calls $77.70 (All-In), SB calls $38.40 (All-In).

Turn: ($398.70) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: ($398.70) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $398.70
Old 04-26-2005, 02:32 PM

Default Re: Set of Threes - Monster Pot

AK [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or AA for Villain?
SB has a flush draw? I think that you're ahead and I would call here.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:46 PM

On the flop you're only behind to a bigger set, since you've got the smallest one. Probably not 666 due to the $6 bet PF. So you put him on a flush draw being AK, an overpair AA/KK, or the set of 10's.

You've got to call on flush draw or on AA/KK, which he'll have much more often than the hand you're behind, 10 10. Considering the overbet of the pot, I'd say he's on a flush draw and trying to weed out the competition.

But I'm new here, so feel free to disregard anything I say [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

RedRum
Old 04-26-2005, 02:41 PM

I understand your fear, but I think you're ahead of high diamonds and AA or KK enough to call here. I guess you're really only scared of TT eh? Nah, go with your previous read, you should be fine here.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:53 PM

Folding is not an option here. If you're real lucky they are both on f draws. I can't even blame villain too much for playing this hard with an overpair.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:23 PM

id say your correct to call his push here every time. 10 10 is the only real threat and i'll take my chances against him having it each and every time.

But, im new here too so feel free to disregard everything i say.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:37 PM

Considering his pre-flop betting, his flop re-raise looks like
scared aces (AA). This is the flop you were playing for. If
you don't like this flop, don't play little pairs; ever.

If he happens to have TT, then them's the breaks: reload.
Rinse/lather/repeat. Set over set hurts, but it is fairly
rare. Sets make money, play 'em hard.

Regards,
Mike L.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Considering his pre-flop betting, his flop re-raise looks like
scared aces (AA). This is the flop you were playing for. If
you don't like this flop, don't play little pairs; ever.

If he happens to have TT, then them's the breaks: reload.
Rinse/lather/repeat. Set over set hurts, but it is fairly
rare. Sets make money, play 'em hard.

Regards,
Mike L.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:53 PM

Default Results

I agree with the majority of the replies. Although I did find the call-reraise-all-in move very strange, and indicative of a possible TT, I did make the call fairly quickly. Just too hard to get away from a set, and I did indeed get shown the top set.

I didn't think this player would be capable of making this move with AKs, so I figured I was against AA, KK, or top set. Don't think I woulda been able live myself had I laid it down. Part of the reason I called is b/c I didn't think this player would make that strong raise with TT. I had mistakenly thought his raise meant aces or kings (since he had made the same move a couple rounds ago). Sht happens in poker, and I did reload and proceed to recover from the set over set shock.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:40 PM

yeah his flop play is pretty messed up as an overpair on the flop should've raised that $5 bet but he cold calls then 3bets all in. very strange unless he has TT, no?

Even so, I don't think you can put him on that specific hand and fold because he could be crazy or a bit of tilt, whatever. You must pay off I think

SB is a minor worry tho he really looks like a draw he too could have a set here.

Either you're well ahead or way behind. How'd it go?