Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2005, 02:28 PM

Default Wall Street Vs. Law School Vs. Graduate School

So. I'm about to wrap up college this summer. And I'm trying to decide on what I want to do with my life. I'm currently attending a top-ten school, and my grades put me in the top 25% of my class. However, I have no idea with what to do with my life.

I've had limited internship experience, and so far I have yet to start searching for jobs (I'm finishing school in three years).

I'm wondering, at this point in time, which career option would be best. I want to have a job where I will earn a decent amount of money, so i'll have some capital to start up a business at some point in time. So that's where the debate between law school and working on wall street comes in.

At the same time, sometimes I'm really sickened by the materialism that drives our culture. Hence graduate school, and giving something back to the world.

what do you guys think?

If i go work on wall street, i'm thinking about applying to some entry level stock broker. I might check out some finance firms, but I have no econ background. What would you guys recommened?

so yeah. basically, the question is...

law school vs some sort of job on wallstreet (and if you recommend wall street, what would you recommend vs getting away from all the nonsense and going to grad school and getting a phd of some sort.

what are your thoughts?
Old 04-25-2005, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Wall Street Vs. Law School Vs. Graduate School

IMO only go to law school if you want to be a lawyer. I know a lot of people disagree with this, but that is what I think. Law school IMO should be a trade school, not a particularly intellectiual venture. If you want to do something else I don't get the allure of law school. Dull, hard work at times, obnoxious people.

And get over the give back to the world thing. You will be happier. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2005, 12:59 PM

Default Re: Wall Street Vs. Law School Vs. Graduate School.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]..funny thing..

he did not even consider medicine...lol..

i guess the word has gotten around...amazingly ez big bucks possible in law school and wall street; ya gotta suffer 8-10 years status post bachalaureatte to then get sued by some bozo who will make more money in one malpractice case than the poor m.d. will make in two lifetimes..

lol

who is john galt?

gl

[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2005, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
who is john galt?

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2005, 04:17 PM

Hey, when you see the malpractice case that pays 2 lifetimes of doctor salaries to the lawyers will you please refer it? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Seriously though, law may be vile, but the money isn't as easy as people think. And I think overall/generally etc... medicine is a more rewarding (both financially and otherwise) career than law. So maybe too bad the poster didn't consider it. That could change as medicine is socialized more.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That could change as medicine is socialized more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, nothing like salary caps to keep good doctors away.
Old 04-30-2005, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously though, law may be vile, but the money isn't as easy as people think. And I think overall/generally etc... medicine is a more rewarding (both financially and otherwise) career than law. So maybe too bad the poster didn't consider it. That could change as medicine is socialized more.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a 3rd year law student, with several med student friends, you are absolutely correct.

Another option - dental specialties. Really nice money, not as much schooling (as a medical doctor), and the hours are typically nothing.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Wall Street Vs. Law School Vs. Graduate School..!!

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]..i gotta admit high desert;

you truly are a high class guy;

ya really know how to hurt a doc..lol..<i.e. socialized med>

lol

gl to you

and the hdpw

gl

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 04-25-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At the same time, sometimes I'm really sickened by the materialism that drives our culture. Hence graduate school, and giving something back to the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is great that you want to contribute to the common good ("giving back"), but it is not correct, in my opinion, to assume that making money in your career will somehow hinder this objective. It is much easier to be philanthropic if you have a high income.

If you want to make a hands on contribution to society, law might be the better option. For example, as an attorney, you can choose a career path which is focused on solving social issues (such as prosecuting criminals or defending the accused, depending on your point of view). On the other hand, Wall Street pays much better than law...and some of the most philanthropic people in the world work on Wall Street.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:54 PM

here's what you NEED to do: all those jobs are going to be long arse hours and hardwork and apprenticeships for some time. Find out what you LIKE or in this case least despite and go from there. no one can tell you where to go, career oppurtunities will abound from each choice.