Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2005, 03:13 AM

Default QQ Decision Time

The $5/$10 live game, where when you first enter pot you must make it $20 to go. UTG enters pot, he has 2.3k give or take a couple hundred, MP TAG raises to $80, I call on button with QQ and cover all, UTG calls. Not sure how good UTG is, this is "viffer", playing slightly loose preflop, reasonable postflop so far.

Flop is 288, check, check, I bet $200, Viffer raises to $500.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:49 AM

Default Re: QQ Decision Time

What are your thoughts about reraising pre-flop? I think that had you done that, you could have better defined your hand and wouldn't be left with a tough decision on this flop, because while I think that it's possible that viffere could be making this play with an 8, I think that it's also reasonable to think that he puts you on unpaired over cards and that his low PP is good.

Also, what were the suits on the flop? I think that that could make a difference in whether or not he would slowplay trips (if he would at all).

EDIT: Another thing I meant to ask, what's your image at this table?
Old 04-25-2005, 09:17 AM

i agree on re-raising pf to define.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:22 AM

I think you know that only you can answer this question
Old 04-25-2005, 10:45 AM

I think you have a raise or fold situation. If you call, your opponent is very likely to fire again on the turn and put you in another very difficult position. I think folding is your best option here even though it’s somewhat likely you’re ahead. If you reraise, you allow your opponent to get away from any hand that you beat and are in effect laying him odds (because he will surely call if he’s ahead).

If your opponent is very likely to make these sorts of plays (with and without a hand) what do you think about checking through on the flop to control pot size and to induce a bluff on the turn?

Where does the term "viffer" come from?
Old 04-25-2005, 10:48 AM

i love a check with QQ on this flop against a lag

especially after the preflop cold call!
Old 04-25-2005, 12:36 PM

While I'll agree naked Queens usually win smaller pots, I don't like giving 2 players -- who most likely checked because they missed on the flop -- a free chance to hit A or K on the turn.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While I'll agree naked Queens usually win smaller pots, I don't like giving 2 players -- who most likely checked because they missed on the flop -- a free chance to hit A or K on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought Viffer was the raiser, the fact that he's the caller changes the hand. Also, by the time the action gets to Bruiser it's headsup, we assume. Bruiser acts after the PFR. If the other dude calls $500, it's clearly folding time for bruiser.

If he doesn't, I think it's now clearly a fold or call/turn push. Turn push punishes overaggression. The problem with a flop push is that you risk your entire stack against a small portion of the other guy's; he's put your entire stack at risk with a moderate bet.

I think I would call and fold if an ace drops on the turn, otherwise push all-in on turn.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:11 PM

Not sure if your comment was directed at me... I was simply responding to kagame's earlier comment:

[ QUOTE ]
i love a check with QQ on this flop against a lag

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't like checking QQ on this flop since we're up against a "smart" LAG and another TAG. If an Ace or King (or even Jack/Ten/Nine) fell on the turn, it could put hero in a tough spot. IMO, Danny should've bet more than 3/4 to confirm he's not trying to buy the pot on a drawless flop. Might have made the rest of the hand a little easier to play. But I'm not expecting others to necessarily agree.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:01 AM

I used to see viffer at the pokerstars 3/6 games probably 6 months ago or so. He was very aggressive but seemed to get the money in more often than not when he was ahead. As for this hand - viffer is surely capable of having an 8 there - so I really have no idea what I'd do. Having a live read would be helpful.

I probably call and see what happens on the turn. If you don't think you'll get any more info that way, I'd probably fold. I don't like a reraise because it seems you're way ahead / behind here and he won't make a mistake. Plus, you like to put yourself in difficult late street situations - so keep it going with a call [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]