Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2005, 10:16 PM

Default what should I do?

I am considering switching careers entirely. since people on here do all sorts of things, I figured I'd get some input. I currently work as a software engineer doing java stuff.

my background: I have a CS degree and have a lot of years of experience working as a programmer doing a reasonably wide variety of stuff. I always enjoyed AI/game theory type stuff the most, and my favorite language is lisp. also I'm a jazz musician/composer and have done that professionally for a very long time.

my reasons for switching careers: I feel that what I do isn't all that important. not in a saving starving children kind of way, but in an innovation kind of way. I'd like to do something that is more intellectually fulfilling I guess. I enjoy being creative and inventing things, I have a cool patent for this thing I invented for an old company I worked for so I enjoy doing stuff like that.

enviroment: I am not really big on working a lot (i.e. > 40) hours a week, it would have to be a really special job for me to consider something like that as I have a lot of stuff going on and don't really have enough hours in the day as it is.

so, suggestions as to what fields I should look at? even if you don't know what I should do, just expound a little about what you do and what you like/dislike about it, as it will be helpful to me to get an idea of what different fields are like.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:26 PM

Default Re: what should I do?

[ QUOTE ]
I am considering switching careers entirely. since people on here do all sorts of things, I figured I'd get some input. I currently work as a software engineer doing java stuff.

my background: I have a CS degree and have a lot of years of experience working as a programmer doing a reasonably wide variety of stuff. I always enjoyed AI/game theory type stuff the most, and my favorite language is lisp. also I'm a jazz musician/composer and have done that professionally for a very long time.

my reasons for switching careers: I feel that what I do isn't all that important. not in a saving starving children kind of way, but in an innovation kind of way. I'd like to do something that is more intellectually fulfilling I guess. I enjoy being creative and inventing things, I have a cool patent for this thing I invented for an old company I worked for so I enjoy doing stuff like that.

enviroment: I am not really big on working a lot (i.e. > 40) hours a week, it would have to be a really special job for me to consider something like that as I have a lot of stuff going on and don't really have enough hours in the day as it is.

so, suggestions as to what fields I should look at? even if you don't know what I should do, just expound a little about what you do and what you like/dislike about it, as it will be helpful to me to get an idea of what different fields are like.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever thought about becoming a teacher?

Seriously.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:49 PM

yeah, maybe teaching guitar (that's what you play right?), which isnt the greatest paying job, but would open the door for private lessons, as well as give you plenty of time for pokering.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:58 PM

are you near a coast?

if so doing musical work by contract sounds good. a good friend of mine does pretty well doing that and cetainly doesn't work more than 40 hours per week.

fim
Old 04-05-2005, 12:17 AM

Hey Paul, I forgot to mention this the other day. Some of the happiest people I know, career-wise, are those who, around your age or older, went back to get a post-bac and then went on to med school. This is a sample of about 5 people who were previously programmers, musicians, database administrators, and, uhhh, programmers.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am not really big on working a lot (i.e. > 40) hours a week

[/ QUOTE ]

Harry Dunne: I can't believe we drove around all day, and there's not a single job in this town. There is nothing, nada, zip!
Lloyd Christmas: Yeah! Unless you wanna work forty hours a week.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am not really big on working a lot (i.e. > 40) hours a week

[/ QUOTE ]

Harry Dunne: I can't believe we drove around all day, and there's not a single job in this town. There is nothing, nada, zip!
Lloyd Christmas: Yeah! Unless you wanna work forty hours a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh
Old 04-05-2005, 12:22 AM

Game design?
Old 04-05-2005, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Game design?

[/ QUOTE ]

Extremely long work weeks.

-SmileyEH
Old 04-05-2005, 01:31 AM

I don't know what you should do, but I know my life instantly became happier the day I decided I didn't want to write software anymore.

If you've been writing software for a long time, I assume you make good money. Are you willing to take a big pay cut?