Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2005, 02:03 PM

Default UTG+1 was really upset and it\'s all Ed Miller\'s fault

I played this session immediately after reading Ed's recent 2+2 magazine article on preflop play by a cutoff poster. I was inspired or possibly delusional. Is this a good play or too far over-the-top?

UTG+1 was quite upset when he saw my hand. Preflop he is 19/8.7 over a decent sample size. Postflop he is a typical tight/passive who traps a lot and becomes more aggressive on the big streets.

BB is quite loose/passive and the only non-tight player sitting behind me.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $3.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (9.33 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (6.16 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

River: (6.16 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 12.16 BB
Old 03-30-2005, 02:10 PM

Default Re: UTG+1 was really upset and it\'s all Ed Miller\'s fault

I haven't read the article but question the preflop 3-bet. It did set up the rest of the hand nicely and set the tone for you for the rest of the session.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:11 PM

Where does Ed Miller advocate 3-betting a pre-flop raise with Q9o?

Not this article is it?

The situation there describes calling when you're in the blinds with a hand like that and you're playing short handed. Sorry if I have the article reference wrong.

I'd have to say FOLD preflop given your read on UTG+1. What hands could you beat with Q9o that he would raise with?

The rest of the hand is standard after that of course ...
Old 03-30-2005, 02:17 PM

Good check, you obviously dodged a checkraise on the turn. PF, I think you took it a little too far. QJo and Q9o are two very different hands. UTG+1's PF stats are almost identical to mine, and I guarantee that whatever I'm raising, it's likely to dominate Q9o. Had you seen this guy try to attack posted blinds before? If not, I think this is better folded.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:22 PM

i think Ed's article would have recommended a call preflop rather than a 3-bet.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think Ed's article would have recommended a call preflop rather than a 3-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

me too
Old 03-30-2005, 03:01 PM

Are we talking about the shorthanded play article here? If so, I don't think this applies at all...totally different scenario.

If not, what article are we talking about.

Muck this PF.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are we talking about the shorthanded play article here? If so, I don't think this applies at all...totally different scenario.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, this refers to Ed's two-part article on posting a blind behind the button. Totally different.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was inspired or possibly delusional. Is this a good play or too far over-the-top?

[/ QUOTE ]

Stellar,

This seems over-the-top to me. I think Q9o is significantly less strong than the types of hands he was advocating three-betting with in this situation, plus it sounds like you are unlikely to even knock out the BB here and get thereby get additional dead money in the pot. If you don't get it headsup I really don't liek your hand three-handed against an early position raiser. In fact, I am not sure you should even be calling this raise. With a bunch of tight players at the table (which is what I took away from your description) you won't be getting such great odds to just call. I vote in favor of folding but could probably be convinced to call. However, I really don't liek the isolation re-raise here.

All the best.

Colgin
Old 03-30-2005, 02:58 PM

I would fold preflop but I haven't read the article. 3-betting seems like the worst option. I'll read it when I have a chance though. Other than preflop everything seems very standard.