Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2005, 12:48 PM

Default I raised for a free card and turned MPBK

10/20 live game. No solid reads but the table is LP with 4 or 5 seeing most flops. The 3 to my left are playing almost every hand for one bet and haven’t raised at all with multiple limpers in front. I like my seat.

UTG and UTG2 limp all fold to me 2 off the button. I limp with 98 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and as with most pots the CO and button limp and the sb completes.

Flop 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] all check to UTG2 and he bets. I raise CO and button call, the rest fold to UTG2 and he calls.

Turn is a 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and it’s checked to me. I go ahead and bet because I think the CO or button will if I don’t and I’m pretty confident the UTG2 will come alive and reraise if he has TPGK.

CO folds Button and UTG2 call.

River J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG2 bets, I……

All comments appreciated and especially on my turn play.

Best of Luck

Gordon Scott
Old 03-30-2005, 01:02 PM

Default Re: I raised for a free card and turned MPBK

I assume that the 4 on the flop is a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

On the flop raise: if the players behind you are passive enough that you think they'll call a raise, then I like the raise. if you think it's unlikely they will cold-call, i like calling to build a pot. Your only hope in this hand probably in catching the flush, so you're not raising to clean up outs, and a free card is not worth much here if you get it since the pot is smallish.

The way the hand played out, i'm really not sure how to play the turn, I personally don't like betting here since you probably will get callers, and you need all 3 players to call for this bet to be for value. A check might also get the 2 behind you to check also, gaining you a free card, which is unlikely, but would be an added bonus.

I like going for overcalls at the river...

Interesting hand, IMO, alot more interesting than "I flopped the nuts, what do I do?"
Old 03-30-2005, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
alot more interesting than "I flopped the nuts, what do I do?"

[/ QUOTE ]

that thread getting a flame is terrible.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
alot more interesting than "I flopped the nuts, what do I do?"

[/ QUOTE ]

that thread getting a flame is terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not flaming it, i apologize if it seemed like I was. I just said this thread is much more interesting because there are a lot less obvious decisions to be made.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:29 PM

flame = 1000 views or 100 responses or whatever. not a scathing verbal attack [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2005, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
flame = 1000 views or 100 responses or whatever. not a scathing verbal attack [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

my bad, you'd think after 1500 posts i'd know this [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2005, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just said this thread is much more interesting because there are a lot less obvious decisions to be made.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, exactly my point. the "how do i bet the nut straight" thread got over 100 replies, which is silly.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's only 1 other opponent, so he gets a freeroll for extra bets when he raises (cold-call or 3-bet) when it's far more likely UTG+2 has a weaker hand (set, 2pair, straight) than a higher flush.

-d
Old 03-30-2005, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's only 1 other opponent, so he gets a freeroll for extra bets when he raises (cold-call or 3-bet) when it's far more likely UTG+2 has a weaker hand (set, 2pair, straight) than a higher flush.

-d

[/ QUOTE ]

i must be sleeping today because i didn't notice the fold on the turn, so, yep, with 3 players, raise the river...
Old 03-30-2005, 01:16 PM

I don't like the turn bet. It's probably not a value bet. It's not a semi-bluff since you're not going to get everyone to fold. It's not going to buy you any outs on the river. Basically, I can't see what you're trying to achieve. Alternatively, if you check and the CO bets like you think he might, you will be able to raise for value if everyone calls.

I also don't understand your comment "I’m pretty confident the UTG2 will come alive and reraise if he has TPGK." You can't fold your hand, so you don't want him making you pay 2 bets on a draw if you can help it.

I raise the river. If either of the people behind you call, you make more money than calling, and the pot is big enough that anyone with a hand has to call.