Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2005, 05:15 AM

Default Small pocket in the bb

Button is laggy, UTG is fishy loose, no huge reads beyond that as they are new to the table and to me.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG(fishy) calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button(Laggy) raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, UTG(fishy) calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, fishy checks, <font color="#CC3333">Laggy bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, fishy calls, Laggy folds.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, fishy calls.

River: (7.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, intending to call a bet.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:09 AM

Default Re: Small pocket in the bb

Bet, he doesn't look like he has a busted draw.

Krishan
Old 03-30-2005, 03:10 PM

Yeah, checking this didn't feel right. But there aren't all that many hands that he could be calling me with on the river that I beat.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:13 PM

He won't call call with ace high or a 2? It helps to have a read. If he goes to showdown a lot, it makes a bet easier.

Krishan
Old 03-30-2005, 03:19 PM

bet river.....if you are behind, he'll bet into anyways probably....I doubt he'll raise you. You'd be surprised how often A hi shows a hand down =P
Old 03-30-2005, 03:41 PM

I still fold these preflop, but I know everyone says thats bad....anyway

How fishy is this guy? He called 2 cold on the flop on a prety much drawless board, then called the turn. Is he so bad hed do all this with a 2 or an Ace? Smells like a weak king to me, or something like 55 or 66. I prolly check/fold. I really dont see him bluffing, youve already c/r once, so a bet means hes prolly got you beat 1 in 8.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:04 PM

I had noticed him doing some fishy things that fish who call down with twos or ace high would do, but no real good read that he would call down with absolutely anthing.

I remember reading something, I think in TOP, about situations where you should bet even if you are not a favorite when called in certain situations. It has something to do with the fact that he won't bluff enough for you to call profitably, but will bluff enough so that you would rather not check and give up the pot. I've lent out my copy, though, can can't look it up. I think that may pertain to this situation, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, I check, he checks, the pot is pushed towards me and I find out he has ace high. I make a note to ruthelessly value bet in future.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had noticed him doing some fishy things that fish who call down with twos or ace high would do, but no real good read that he would call down with absolutely anthing.

I remember reading something, I think in TOP, about situations where you should bet even if you are not a favorite when called in certain situations. It has something to do with the fact that he won't bluff enough for you to call profitably, but will bluff enough so that you would rather not check and give up the pot. I've lent out my copy, though, can can't look it up. I think that may pertain to this situation, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, I check, he checks, the pot is pushed towards me and I find out he has ace high. I make a note to ruthelessly value bet in future.

[/ QUOTE ]

fair enough [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Oh i think the section that pertains to what you are talking about is if you are playing agaisnt an opponet and you have a hand where that if you bet you know 100% you can fold to a raise on the river, but if if you check to him on the river he will always bet a strogner hand then you curently hold.

So if your hand is good enough to check call with on the river, it is certainly good enough to bet in this case, because he may call you with a worse hand some of the time,but not a hand he would bet the river with if you had checked to him.

If you feel conforterable folding to a river raise here, and think that he will bet any pairs between 4's and Q's if you check to him, then i say go for a bet.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:24 PM

jesus, another guy from tempe....we should get a home game going [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2005, 04:28 PM

we coudl always do .02/.04 three handed at poker stars, that woudl be neat [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]