Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2005, 05:25 PM

Default ring game player, wants to be a better tournament player.

Hi, MTT forum.

I'm Bob T. I post a lot in the SS forum, and I think that I am a moderately successful player on the boarder between small and mid stakes.

I've decided that I want to be able to play multitable tournaments, both NL, and limit. Up until now, my involvement has been on an occasional basis, mostly to give myself a change of pace. Looking back over my results, I've done well in tourneys, so I think that I might be able to add them in to my game plan.

But, I am at a loss for how to go about doing it.

Do I start with small buy in MTT's? OR should I build up through sitngos? Or do I play the three table sitngos to get experience. How much bankroll should I commit? How long of a dry spell should I expect to have to tolerate? I really only have time for a MTT on a couple days a week, is that enough to improve my game to the level where I can be competitive.

How much does ring game success carry over into tournament success? Should I spend more time playing the 5 and 6 max tables to prepare me for the endgame in tournaments?

I'm sure that there are a lot of other questions, as always, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:02 PM

Default Re: ring game player, wants to be a better tournament player.

Hi Bob,

Welcome to the MTT forum. Like you, I was more on SST where I have known you and find your posts to be enlightening. I also play 2-3 days a week too depending on my schedule. I know you are a winning player too. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Anyway from my perspective, I started by picking up some of the basics from this forum, got hold of TJ/McEvoy's book, and Sklansky's TPFAP to basically explore differing philosophies among the pros. Then started with low buy-ins at Pokerroom with about 100 or so players just to get my feet wet. I also played small SnGs to learn more about short-handed plays. After getting a few wins and cashes, I signed in at Party and then eventually Stars. I am a casual, recreational player so my progress is not as fast as I want it to be.

Search the archives for the posts of Raymer, eMarkM, MLG, Che, CSC, Soss and others, (damn, I hope I don't offend those I omitted) which would accelerate your progress.

Wait a minute, what the hell am I talking about? I am advising no greenhorn here.

Anyway, that's my take and I'm sure you'll be successful in no time at all. GL.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:18 PM

I would also highly recommend Harrington's book.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:01 AM

I think Jennicide had a couple good ones before idiots drove her from Cyberspace, and she was 47th last yr. in rankings -

but yah, definately don't forget Fossilman.

RB
Old 03-29-2005, 10:04 PM

I'm Bob T. I post a lot in the SS forum, and I think that I am a moderately successful player on the boarder between small and mid stakes

Welcome Bob T. I think you are a bit modest. I would describe you as a very tough opponent.

Do I start with small buy in MTT's? OR should I build up through sitngos? Or do I play the three table sitngos to get experience. How much bankroll should I commit? How long of a dry spell should I expect to have to tolerate? I really only have time for a MTT on a couple days a week, is that enough to improve my game to the level where I can be competitive.

I do not play online, however I would recommend MTT over SNG. Perhaps play a 2 table tourney on Party.

How much does ring game success carry over into tournament success? Should I spend more time playing the 5 and 6 max tables to prepare me for the endgame in tournaments?

Same sport, different rules.

Pick up Harringtons book. Read the tournament section of Gambling Theory and Other Topics. Read Tournament Poker for Advance Players.

You know the game well enough, that you will make a smooth transition.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How much does ring game success carry over into tournament success?

[/ QUOTE ]

With regards no limit, so long as you can adjust correctly for the depth of money, it should carry over ok.

[ QUOTE ]
Should I spend more time playing the 5 and 6 max tables to prepare me for the endgame in tournaments?

[/ QUOTE ]

It may help with limit. It won't help with no limit, given the stacks are usually so shallow at that stage of the tourney, (and dead money in the pot so high), compared to the 6 max cash games. Actually, the 6 max limit cash games may help with the end of a no-limit tourney.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:14 AM

What a great place for a gratuitous reference to an essay I posted last week.

Actually, it's cut and pasted out of some analysis I'm working on, so ignore the odd tone. Oh, and ignore the typos, too.

(The bit is about the tactical value of chips in a no limit tourney).
Old 03-30-2005, 01:59 PM

Thanks everyone,

ID4, I knew about Greg, but I wasn't familiar with most of those others on your list.

I also had overlooked Harrington's book, so I am ordering that this morning.

Also thanks fnord for the link to your essay.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:47 PM

I am a big proponent of playing a bunch of SNGs and mixing in some MTTs. The first time you make a bubble/final table in a MTT playing for $xx,xxx you are much better off if you have a bunch of SNGs under your belt.

Definitely read HOH. GL (and stay off of my tables - sounds like you are a shark) [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2005, 05:20 PM

Hi Bob,

I put together a thread for occasions like this here. It includes links to eMarkM's nominee (winner?) for Post-of-the-Year, as well as a few others.

Personally, I really like the two-table tournaments at Stars. They have many of the elements of a big tournament, including an odd little bubble before the final table. (For some reason people want to fold their way into 9th, even though the money doesn't start until 4th. Hey, I don't tell them how to play, I just steal their blinds.)

As to where you should start, that depends in part, of course on bankroll. I don't imagine it's a huge issue, but there are a number of very good players (Che springs to mind) who got their start in the $10 and under crowd. You might also consider the sattellites to the $200 tournaments. Not to sound like a corporate shill, but I like Stars $3-rebuys. You can get a lot of tournament experience against a large (and very uneven) field for just a few bucks. And if you do well, you get a seat at the big dance. (Pardon my mixed metaphor.)

Good luck, and I'll see you at the tables.

Sam T. (no relation, I presume).