Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2005, 01:01 AM

Default How would you play this one?

Ok, this hand had me questioning my play on every single street, but each one seemed close at least.

SB in this hand I think is pretty irrelevant, but he is a poor player and fairly loose.
BB is reasonably tight and usually quite passive. I think I have seen him raise once or twice PF through 100 hands.
CO is a TAG, and has attempted to steal, but showed down reasonable hands.
Button is a semi-loose and passive.
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls.

The original call is standard I'm sure. I'm not thrilled when its raised, and much less happy when its 3-bet (especially by tight BB). I would be surprised to see BB show down anything besides a group 1 hand. However, the pot is getting big, and I've already committed some to it, so I call. Good? Bad? OK?

Flop: (15 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds.

Pot is getting huge, and if I spike a set, I think I get paid off well. With only one broadway, and its a J, I may even be ahead. This is probably my most questionable play.

Turn: (9 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

I pick up an OESD, so I think the call here is pretty standard. I'm still giving myself the outs for the set too, as there is probably no 4 or 9 out there.

River: (12 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, Button folds.

Pot is quite large. I had said I would be surprised to see anything except a group 1 from BB, so I'm praying for AK (however, I also said he was passive, so this is less likely). Make the call here or no?

Final Pot: 14 BB

Edit: sorry, messed up the original reads slightly. CO was the TAG, not button, and I had totally forgotten to include button. fixed now
Old 03-29-2005, 01:06 AM

Default Re: How would you play this one?

I don't know if you'll get shown AK enough here to warrant the river call.

The rest I like.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:08 AM

I fold preflop to a raise-reraise.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:14 AM

After its 3-bet, I'm getting 10:1 on my call, and I have to assume that its probably going to be 14:1 with the other players left to act (provided its not capped). A set is 7:1 to hit the flop right? I think this is a call.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
After its 3-bet, I'm getting 10:1 on my call, and I have to assume that its probably going to be 14:1 with the other players left to act (provided its not capped). A set is 7:1 to hit the flop right? I think this is a call.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're getting 10:2 or 14:2 on your call. Plus the fact that CO might cap - I'd fold.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:32 AM

My bad, yes it is x:2
That's why I was thinking it was marginal originally. When I quickly analyzed it and counted 10:1, I was wondering what my problem was earlier. Thanks
Old 03-29-2005, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is highly wrong.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't do that.

BTW, I would've raised preflop.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:41 PM

I've seen several of you post that you raise this PF. SSH does not have that in either tight or loose games. The farthest they go down is 88, and that's in late position.

What reasoning are you guys using to raise this hand PF? Has this hand been good to you all?

Also, why not fold when it comes back two bets to you? Thanks for any help.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've seen several of you post that you raise this PF. SSH does not have that in either tight or loose games. The farthest they go down is 88, and that's in late position.

What reasoning are you guys using to raise this hand PF? Has this hand been good to you all?

Also, why not fold when it comes back two bets to you? Thanks for any help.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) SSH (to my recollection) doesn't talk about open-raising standards. Open-limping in middle to late positions is considered a mistake and covered in many books.

2) Look at your immediately and probable pot odds when you call the 2 back to you. You'll see it plus implied odds gives you enough to try to hit for your set. While open-limping is a mistake, not calling the 2 back is a bigger one.