Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2005, 05:51 AM

Default WSOP 10K Conundrums...

Two potential situations that you might be in at the main event of the WSOP 2005. What would you do in each?

Keep in mind: 99% chance you won't know anyone at your table, how they play, etc.

Situation 1:
Blinds are 50/100. Tournament has started only an hour previous to this hand. No real reads on anyone involved. For some reason, the average bring in raises at your table seem to be abnormally high, instead of 3xBB it seems to be more like 8xBB (conclude what you want from that).

You are in the small blind. UTG (nervous online-only player) raises to 500. Short stack in middle position moves all in for 4000. Late position player moves all-in over the top for 11000. Before you look at your cards, UTG calls all-in out of turn, the floor person determines that he is committed to moving all-in regardless of what you do. You peek at K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. There are effectively three all-ins in front of you and you have everyone covered (just barely). Decision?

Situation 2:
Third level of the tournament. You have about 14000 in chips and two middle position players limp in front of you (Bill and Mark). Bill has not done anything out of line, has about 14000 chips too. Mark has nearly 20,000 and has built this stack by moving all-in immediately after every flop he sees, regardless of players in the hand, cards on the flop, betting etc. He has not had to do this very many times to build up a stack. No one has yet called him and he has not shown a single card. On the button you limp with 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Flop is: A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Bill makes a bet of 800. Mark, of course, immediately moves all-in. Decision?
Old 03-26-2005, 06:00 AM

Default Re: WSOP 10K Conundrums...

Hand 1...Easy call

Hand 2...Easy call

You are going to need to build a stack for this tourney, and you aren't going to find too many spots better than these to do it...especially situation one...
Old 03-26-2005, 06:10 AM

Situation 1: I fold KK faceup and then tell everyone how I can see into their souls...

If I am not channeling Phil I call, and then hope I see AK, AK, AQ. If I win I roll over the table playing speculative hands and hitting 'em on the river.

Situation 2: Don't need to be Phil to fold a set here. Opener to act and bottom set with 3 flush on the board??. I like to gamble and all but...

See ya...
Old 03-26-2005, 10:06 AM

I fold the KK
call with the 22.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:57 PM

If UTG hadn't called out of turn I think #1 is close, but I'd probably fold.

#2 my money would beat his to the pot.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 03-26-2005, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If UTG hadn't called out of turn I think #1 is close, but I'd probably fold.

#2 my money would beat his to the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-26-2005, 01:44 PM

those are very tough situations,you'd probably win half the time on both situations,so good luck picking the right one,LOL!
Old 03-26-2005, 01:50 PM

1) Easy fold

2) Easy Fold
Old 03-26-2005, 01:58 PM

#1: Fold Too much action for KK there....
#2: Easy call.
Old 03-26-2005, 02:10 PM

I always say that the key to winning large tournaments is making tough laydowns.

Here, I'd shoot myself in the foot by calling both. With the Kings, you are probably against a smaller pair and a couple of big aces... probably four total outs and some backdoors against you. With the set of 2s and read on Mark, a call is a must. If you are behind to a flush here, you still have 7 outs on the turn and 10 on the river. If you are behind to a bigger set, then you are screwed. You are probably ahead though, so get your money in with the best hand.