Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2005, 02:41 AM

Default The 5/10 NL game at Turtle Lake, WI

Anybody sat in this game? I hear it typically only goes on weekends, but don't know if it's a Fri, Sat. or both nights type of thing. If anybody knows when the game goes and what kind of characters the game is filled with I'd much appreciate a little info on it.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:47 AM

Default Re: The 5/10 NL game at Turtle Lake, WI

Have you ever been there? I thought their poker room sucked, I've only played there once and maybe I'm spoiled from Canterbury but I'd never play there again.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:54 AM

I played in home tourney with 2 regulars of that game. NL is all they play now. 1 of the guys is there 3 - 4 times a week and proclaimed he's up 10k since 1/1/05????

Sounded like there are 3 - 5 of the same guys playing together quite often. He talked about only getting into the game with the max. buy-in. That you could easily end up with somebody coming over the top for your entire stack on just a $10.00 initial bet.

He also talked about how they get tricky with their bets. 1 guy will place a minimum bet, the next guy will drop out what looks like a call, but has really made a raise with hidden chips or chips dropped from his palm while what looks like a call where thrown with the fingers. The next guy may say call or place what he thought was a call on the original bet and then is forced to call the raise. He went on to explain (proudly) how this was a legal bet and the dealers don't say a thing.

I felt that this was something I'd stay away from.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:42 PM

I played in the 2/5 game once on a Friday evening a few months ago and it was quite dull, very tight, very little action. The 1/2 game was very, very good though.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:32 PM

They do rarely get the game going, but if they do, it tends to be very good. If Robert gets there for that game, it gets fired up very quickly. Last time I was there for that game we had a few rounds of dead $30's (since they don't allow a live straddle)

I actually like the room up there. Aside from using the Super Index cards (which really suck), the dealers are ok, and the room is very bright and friendly. I recommend any of the no-limit games.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:37 PM

I've been there pretty regular since January, playing $1/2 NL. I haven't seen a 5/10 NL game yet, but I did miss a few Sat nites.

The 2/5 games have been sporadic, and usually on a Saturday night after Dave or Russ (floors) run around three times asking for names. Rob, the house Maniac (about 6 feet, dark hair, accent) will always play 2/5. He is Lebanese or something, but if you ask him what language he is speaking to his ever-present girlfriend, he will tell you "Portuguese"...If you make a hand, he will pay you off. He is all action and does not care about money. He is pretty good, though.

The 1/2 games are always on Wed-Fri nights and Sat & Sun afternoons on. Three to four tables is common. "Shorty" (short black guy) will play 1/2 if the 2/5 is not going. Be prepared to call $20 preflop in the 1/2 if he is at your table. Byron is another character. He is an older Greek guy, maybe 60 years old. He will fold his Big Blind even if he can just check. Half the time he will lwave the table and go throw the dice and then come back and fold a few hands and then go eat. Sometimes he wil buy the table a round. He's OK [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Everyone else is from Casting Central. Rocks, Lags, newbies, wsop wannabes, etc.

It's not a bad room in general. They also have 2/4 and 3/6 limit. Free hot dogs, pop, coffee, apples, and sometimes bananas (because they go through periods where they put them out and then sometimes they get paranoid about the peels). They will hand out individually wrapped Grandmas choc chip cookies to the late nite crew--too expensive to leave out for the early nite players...

The bad thing is their heating/cooling system is fuked up. You either roast or freeze. And I'm not kidding.

They have two tv's; one big screen and one medium screen. It's a 12 table room, so that's adequate.

The dealers are all good. Some are funny. Some just do their job. Some are new, but they are good--just a little slow. Some dealers thank you for each tip--some don't [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

They have a NL Tourney every Thurs. $50 + $10 to enter. First place is $1740 (12 tables x 10 players ea x $50 x 29%). The 12 tables fill up.

Their is also a once a month "Big" Wed NL tourney for $100 + $20 and one Ladies only yada yada.

It's about a half hour longer from Mpls to Turtle Lake than Mpls to Canterbury. Worth checking out.