Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2005, 12:36 PM

Default Leaving Commerce

Played my last session of the trip at Commerce yesterday. I walked up to the cage with two racks, two full stacks, a stack of 17 chips, and 5 blue chips. A young blonde woman counts the incomplete stack and says $790. I nod as she counts the cash and flip her a couple of blue chips I kept to tip the cage, the valet, the porter, etc, and meander away toward the bathroom, thinking about my flight home. Then I think, "$790?" and rush back to the cage. She apologizes and gives me the rest. WTF?
Old 03-21-2005, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Leaving Commerce

Ya know... we don't know how bad the cashier screwed up if we don't know what limit you were playing and what those racks were of.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:51 PM

Racks of $5 chips.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:52 PM

Tommy write a post once about how he is very good at the non-poker aspects of the game (being well rested, good game selection, not going on tilt, etc.), not getting stiffed at the cage is probably part of that too.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:02 PM

I always count my chips before I get to the cage and then tell the cashier how much I have. This seems to work out best.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:59 PM

Okay, I'll be more explicit. Have any Commerce regulars been stiffed at the cage or is this just an isolated incident? When I went back and told here I was shorted she babbled a fairly incoherent story about messing up the day before.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:28 PM

Hi sfer,

Yes, just a few times out of hundreds. As a previous poster mentioned, after the first time, I started to count it prior to arriving at the cage. I even got an extra hundred once (I gave it back). It's normally the veteran cashiers that count it way too fast and screw up. The rookies are the ones that count it at least two times, fearing they have miscounted. Although yours is quite odd, since the yellow chips are pretty easy to count.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi sfer,

Yes, just a few times out of hundreds. As a previous poster mentioned, after the first time, I started to count it prior to arriving at the cage. I even got an extra hundred once (I gave it back). It's normally the veteran cashiers that count it way too fast and screw up. The rookies are the ones that count it at least two times, fearing they have miscounted. Although yours is quite odd, since the yellow chips are pretty easy to count.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey onegymrat,

I noticed the pic of the chips and by your comments I assume they're from the 9-18 game at Commerce, correct? If so, are you a regular there? I played that game several times before and each time the games were playing like 3-6 and was wondering if that's the norm. If so, I imagine clocking +$30/hr in that game is easily attainable. Care to share?
Old 03-23-2005, 12:49 AM

Default stankybank

Hi SB,

Yes, that is a live 9/18 game at Commerce in the picture. It is the looseness of this particular game that keeps me here as a regular. I really feel that I am making more $/hour at my skill level than I would in a 15 or 20 game.

I must say, however, that $30+/hour is certainly not "easily attainable", but surely doable. I took a bad beating at first, until I learned to adjust to the regular play of those players. It's the unpredictable aggressiveness of this game that makes your stack fluctuate so much. So far this year, my rate is 3BB+/hour, but to do this you really need to put your ego aside (most players think they have to prove they can beat a maniac table) and have a great sense of table selection. And yes, I have still much to learn. Good luck.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:47 AM

Default Re: stankybank

"(most players think they have to prove they can beat a maniac table)"

FU. I'm sick of your subtle barbs.

-Michael