Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2005, 09:54 AM

Default AQs flops flush draw against a big field

I had a nice big field of limpers for this hand. The table seems like a typical .5/1 table, maybe a little tighter than usual, but not this time. What's my play like here?

What about the turn? Do I check/call or lead out?

Absolute Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. MP1 posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls, MP1 (poster) checks, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: (14 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Turn: (12.75 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
Hero...?
Old 03-14-2005, 09:58 AM

Default Re: AQs flops flush draw against a big field

bet the flop

you also have some value on the turn, so bet.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
bet the flop

you also have some value on the turn, so bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many callers do you need to have in order for their to be value in this turn bet? At least four?
Old 03-14-2005, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
bet the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

My reason for not betting the flop was to try and keep people in the hand. I don't mind if they draw, because my draw will beat all of theirs. As the preflop raiser don't I risk driving people out? If a LP player is the first to bet, I'll just call. A check-raise seemed like a nice way to build a big pot and tie people to it. Is this incorrect?

[ QUOTE ]
you are going to win this hand about around 25% of the time, you have 5 opponents who dont seem to mind calling bets. so bet for the slight value edge.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Definitely bet this turn. If everybody calls, that's fine since you'll be getting value for your flush draw. On the other hand, a turn bet might also fold out some hands like A3 that have you reverse-dominated, thus clearing up your overcard outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah thankyou both for the insights. This makes a lot of sense. As it happened, I checked, and it got checked through. I realised that was A Bad Thing but wanted to make sure.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My reason for not betting the flop was to try and keep people in the hand. I don't mind if they draw, because my draw will beat all of theirs. As the preflop raiser don't I risk driving people out? If a LP player is the first to bet, I'll just call. A check-raise seemed like a nice way to build a big pot and tie people to it. Is this incorrect?

[/ QUOTE ]

Building a big pot is a great idea here. You are drawing to the nuts and are a favorite vs top pair (even JJ) to win the hand at this point. That said since you raised in the SB you should lead out here almost every time.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:58 AM

This is a definite check on the turn. YOu don't have the same equity edge on the turn as you did on the flop. I would just call down to see the river, unless it is checked to one of the last two players, in which case I would raise again, making it two bets back to the rest of the field and possibly giving you an extra out to an A or Q. There is not much value/purpose in leading this turn unless you actually think you're going to knock one or two people out.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:00 AM

There is not much value/purpose in leading this turn unless you actually think you're going to knock one or two people out.

you are going to win this hand about around 25% of the time, you have 5 opponents who dont seem to mind calling bets. so bet for the slight value edge.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:02 AM

Definitely bet this turn. If everybody calls, that's fine since you'll be getting value for your flush draw. On the other hand, a turn bet might also fold out some hands like A3 that have you reverse-dominated, thus clearing up your overcard outs.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:25 AM

another one.

attention all micro posters. stop trying to check-raise the flop with your big hands after you raise PF.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:50 AM

Okay, point taken. No more flop check-raising after raising PF. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Here's the entire hand.

Absolute Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. MP1 posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls, MP1 (poster) checks, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: (14 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Turn: (12.75 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP2 checks, CO checks, Button checks.

River: (12.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, CO folds, Button folds, Hero folds, BB calls.

Final Pot: 16.75 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB doesn't show.
MP2 has 5s 5d (straight, seven high).
Outcome: MP2 wins 16.75 BB. </font>