Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2005, 07:55 AM

Default Really beating myself up (Qx suited????)

Local tourney i somehow have placed in about 4 times out of 7....we're on the bubble (5 players)

Blinds are 300/600

I'm in the big blind with t1000 to start the hand. UTG raises to t1200. UTG+1 folds, Button folds, SB calls t900.

I'm looking down at A4o.....I KNOW THAT BASED ON POT ODDS I should probably call...i saw that if my SB hand was garbage i could fold and have t100 left and the Button (in this hand) was also shortstacked...I was about to call when i thought, "What if one or even both have aces? then i need a 4 or a wheel or something"

I folded. I was so close to calling and somehow talked my way out of it.....

Don't want to be too results-oriented but the board came 998A4 and i figured i wouldn't have been good anyway and they had Q8s and KTo....i've never been so devastated as then..

The poker gods then tormented me as i then picked up JJ with only that t100 left and blinds then raised to 500/1000 and was handily taken down by K8o in the BB when he flopped the king.

You guys for sure all call that with A4o??????
Old 03-09-2005, 09:16 AM

Default Re: Really beating myself up (Qx suited????)

Definitely an automatic push in my opinion, regardless of cards. A4o is much better that most of the hands I push in that spot (which would be roughly... every hand).
Old 03-09-2005, 06:17 PM

so based on the FTOP....if you could see the other players had AJs and 66 would you still throw in with A4o???????
Old 03-09-2005, 06:22 PM

that short, it's debateable

you're not generally going to be looking up trash when you call that raise. I'd say that you're sort of being results oriented...

you have basically no FE, you are probably dominated with the ace or against a mid pp you have 3 outs.

i wouldn't fault you for folding or pushing here since the decision is definitely in the gray area.

-EDIIIIT!!!!

didn't realize you had 400 left after posting, i thought you had 600 down in the blind w/ 1k back

this is a definite push/ call, you just can't fold here.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:42 PM

can't fold even with another short stack at the table...

i actually did have a chance to coast into 4th as it went but a guy doubled up instead of busting....so that's also results-oriented but.....not worth a shot?

Tripling up via A4o... vs. Another player busting in the next 4 hands + Chance of better SB Hand
Old 03-09-2005, 07:01 PM

You had 1000, posted 600 in BB leaving you with 400. There is a raise and a caller putting you allin. You are betting 400 to win 2900, getting 7-1 on your money 3-way. There is no reason to think either opponent has a big pair or something, so your chances are a lot better than 12% to win the hand. With 400, you have practically nothing left. I call with 72o, 32o or whatever.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:13 PM

This is an auto call to me. Your absolute worst case scenario lets say is AQ v KK v you. Even at that position you've got 10% chance of winning. Even AA v KK v you is almost 10% (7%). More reasonably you are up against a bigger A (lets say AJ) and a middle hand such as KQ, in that type situation you're almost 20%. To get to the point you would be at if you win this hand, you'll need to double up 3 times assuming you win in the SB with a random hand. Lets say you bast case scenario for doubling 3 times is 2 overcard situations (62%) and one random underdog situation (32%). You've got about a 12% chance of pulling that off and that's assuming you make it past the SB which will be random and likey a 70%+ dog. No matter how you slice it you're in very bad shape so I think it's automatic to take the opportunity that's presented itself and try to get that stack up to $3300.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:18 PM

Worst case is AA vs 44.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:22 PM

Agreed, I wasn't talking about the mathmatical worst case, but you are right.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:24 PM

Thanks for the replies.....I sometimes try to make those "smarter decisions" so as not to be "that guy" who charges in with A7s against AK or JJ or whatever and looks all pained to see he's badly dominated....guess i really outthought myself on this one....

And i'm focusing on the results too much...oh well!