Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about sunglasses at B&M games less than 6/12?
They can be helpful. 24 12.97%
They are irrelevant, as no one can pick up tells anyway. 32 17.30%
Anyone who wears them at these limits is clearly a fool. 129 69.73%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-07-2005, 02:01 PM

Default Conservatives are born rich!

I was hoping a catchy title would = responses for my poll...
(purely curiosity here...)
Old 03-07-2005, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Conservatives are born rich!

Liberal and grew up upper middle class I guess.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:39 PM

Conservative, and grew up average to lower middle class.

My wife and I are now upper middle class, trending towards wealthy, thanks to OUR hard work. The government didn't help us, we busted our humps to get here. Anyone in our society can become part of the upper middle class if they want it badly enough.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone in our society can become part of the upper middle class if they want it badly enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Myth. Do you see why?
Old 03-07-2005, 04:20 PM

that is no myth. sorry, i just don't agree that people can't move up with enough hard work.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
that is no myth. sorry, i just don't agree that people can't move up with enough hard work.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a lot of luck involded in success/failure in life. The idea that you just need to work to make it is just wrong.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:09 PM

i disagree. yet, i believe people should be responsible for their own lives, you think they cant, you think they need luck. thats where the difference lies i guess.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a lot of luck involded in success/failure in life. The idea that you just need to work to make it is just wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might have been born poor with parents who thought poverty was your lot in life. That's bad luck. If you don't build yourself a nestegg for retirement by the time you're 65, that's not bad luck.

Life is like poker. In the short term it's all luck. In the long term it's all skill.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone in our society can become part of the upper middle class if they want it badly enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Myth. Do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't see why. As I stated, I grew up lower middle class (my family qualified for reduced lunch prices when I was in school). I worked 30-35 hours a week while in HS, used the money I had saved to go to college (also worked part-time while in college), got a degree and have been working in a professional capacity ever since.

Please tell me why that same opportunity is not available to all other Americans.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:15 PM

Damn, you make it sound so easy. 30-35 hours a week!?! Did you actually spend seven hours a day in school? Not counting lunch, that's 60-65 hours a week, plus homework and chores. Either you didn't sleep much, or you cared not for leisure time. Right on...

Seriously though, some people are too stupid to go to college. This is why I support free vocational training in high school. These programs need to be expanded and more options opened up. My school had a program like this, but if you didn't want to be an auto mechanic or something similar it wasn't for you. I agree with Adam Corolla. There are far too many children in college who are wasting time and money which would better be spent in vocational training, they just haven't figured that out yet.

The currently inflated student population results in college becoming like a high-high school. A bachelor's degree is not all that respected anymore. I don't know what you majored in or even if that is relevant to your professional life. I don't know when you applied for your first job or when you were first hired in your professional capacity. However, I hear these days the outlook for a recent college graduate is pretty slim.

Yeah, it must be nice having accomplished all that given so little. You must feel real proud. Time will only tell if you were one of the last generations to partially fulfill the American Dream. A dream that seems to be fading into a nightmare, for those unafraid to sleep with their eyes wide shut.

Damn, I can't find my tinfoil. Probably those lizard people again...