Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2005, 06:56 PM

Default Canada may legalize pot! sweet....

Article

"Almost 600 Liberal delegates at a justice workshop simultaneously endorsed resolutions that would see pot legalized, taxed and federally regulated - while also voting to impose mandatory minimum sentences on convicted grow operators"
Old 03-06-2005, 11:47 PM

Default Re: Canada may legalize pot! sweet....

An emotionally charged debate over federal marijuana laws, set against a backdrop of four dead Mounties,

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Anyone know anything about this?
Old 03-06-2005, 11:55 PM

Four RCMP officers were killed this weekend in a small operation in the tiny town of Mayerthorpe, Alberta when they were checking out a small grow operation (20 plants) and stolen car parts ring.

In a country relatively devoid of violence against the police, it has sent shockwaves throughout the media, and it's been all over the news and TV all weekend. It's a crying [censored] shame that a little [censored] plant put 4 officers into mortal danger.

4 RCMP officers killed on Alberta Farm
Old 03-07-2005, 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a crying [censored] shame that a little [censored] plant put 4 officers into mortal danger

[/ QUOTE ]

i fail to see how the mortal danger was caused by the plant?
Old 03-07-2005, 03:45 AM

The existence of the plants psychotropic properties causes the federal government of Canada to make possession of the plant illegal. The fact that possession of the plant is illegal creates a black market for the plant. Over time, a network of dangerous criminals forms around the black market.

In a black market situation, people become dangerous because they can no longer appeal to the authorities for business disputes. You can't exactly go to the police when a dealer shorts you by a couple of pounds of marijuana. Those who work in the black market (especially at this scale) must be willing to defend their own interests at all costs, or they or their business will not survive long.

The Canadian Mounties, who are simply attempting to enforce the law, make the fateful decision to arrest one of these dangerous criminals becuase he is growing the illegal plant. The villian fights back against the Mounties. Perhaps he has killed before and has no respect for human life. Perhaps he doesn't want to spend the next twenty years in prison. At any rate, he chooses to go out in a blaze of glory, or infamy that is.

So in the end, the villian is the reason the police died. However, remove the black market, then there is no villian. Remove the law against possession of the plant, then there is no black market. Remove the plant, and there is no law. So the plant is the cause. Well...

Remove the world, and there is no plant. Remove God, and there is no world.

So its all God's fault. The buck stops at the prime mover.

It all depends on where you draw the line. Causality is a funny thing, but consider this. Which of all the causes I listed is the easiest to remove? Certainly not God. Don't want to get rid of the world. Exterminating the plant is an option, but it would be very difficult and we would lose valuable hemp in the process. History has proven that demand nearly always provides a supply, so ridding the world of the criminals and the black market is an extremely difficult proposal.

The simplest solution is getting rid of the law. The Canadians are taking the path of least resistance. They are becoming like water, which is like the way.

The plant was not the sole cause of this tragic incident. It was only one of many causes. However, remove but a single one of these causes, and the chain will be broken. The weakest link in the chain is the law. Removing the law is a wise decision, in my opinion.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:51 AM

...the government causes the black market.

they start your chain, therefore, they are responsible and the plant is just a natural by-product of the chain.

Drug dealers are drug dealers, and ones that carry the guns and stuff, generally deal with marijuana AND many other drugs. Marijuana is only a part of their inventory because it is in an illegal category. They'll deal with ANYTHING illegal. The government, brilliantly hands them a multi-billion dollar, uncontrolled product's business and profits on a silver platter. I heavily agree with your assessment that the law should be removed because that definitely would've prevented the mounty situation.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:51 PM

good thing they have all that gun control in canada. it sure works. oh, and i do have a heart, i dont want to take anything away from the sacrafice made by the mounties. i honor their lives and hope the best for their families. i just wanted to point out the absurdity of thinking that if you have tight controls on guns the criminals wont have them.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:57 PM

then why don't you compare US gun-related police homicides to Canada's...

hmmm... crazy result, eh?
Old 03-07-2005, 02:00 PM

since all i will be called is a racist i will let you have that, however, i believe that your assertion is not entirely accurate.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:16 PM

these mounties were shot with a high powered hunting rifle that are incredbly easy to aquire here canada. even for a convicted sex offender like the the shgooter in this case. the strict gun cuntrol laws are directed at hundguns and other weapons that have limited hunting use