Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2005, 12:18 AM

Default Flop the nuts vs a large field

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) converter

UTG+1 ($24)
MP1 ($24.4)
MP2 ($18.15)
Hero ($24.75)
CO ($33.3)
Button ($2.9)
SB ($73.75)
BB ($45.3)
UTG ($28.25)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.1.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.5</font>, CO calls $1.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) calls $1.40, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $1.25, MP2 calls $1.25.

Flop: ($7.75) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, CO calls $3, SB calls $3, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls $3.

Turn: ($19.75) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, MP2 checks, Hero raises all in $20...

Final Pot: $19.75

This is a bit different from your average post in these forums, since I easily won this hand with little opposition. I'm just trying to learn the mindset of a guy who dominates the game instead of grinds out a small winrate as I have been for most of my poker career.

Ok so I flop the nuts on probably the most unscary board ever. I didn't want to scare anyone out at this point so with no draws (very unlikely straight draws) I made a small bet which happily got called in several places. Ok, now a A4 just got there but I'm not really afraid of that at all. But what to do? I likely still have the field crushed at this point. The pot is $20. I have about $20 left in my stack. I was really torn between betting $10 and just going all in. I wanted to bet $10, but I felt that with so many people in there was likely a flush draw, or a straight draw with some jackass playing Q6s, and that if I bet $20 after betting 3 on the flop it would look like a bluff and someone would pay me off. How do you guys play this flop and turn?
Old 03-05-2005, 12:20 AM

Default Re: Flop the nuts vs a large field

Check/call the turn. Push the river. They always think "missed AK"
Old 03-05-2005, 12:23 AM

What if the river is a club or a 4 (gives any ace the straight)?
Old 03-05-2005, 12:25 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about a club. If they hit their straight, they hit their straight. I think you make more by checking it here and pushing the river.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:28 AM

I think you're right, I guess I'm just a bit too risk averse and want to get my money in when I'm an assured favorite.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fish always put you on a hand that they can beat. That's why they're fish. You could push the flop and they'd still put you on AK. Slowplaying at these stakes is pointless.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fish always put you on a hand that they can beat. That's why they're fish. You could push the flop and they'd still put you on AK. Slowplaying at these stakes is pointless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you're right. I think I'm developing an acute case of FPS.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:33 AM

There have been a few threads recently about bluffing on Party poker. The one I liked the best was by BobboFitos. It was titled "Don't bluff at Party . . " and then the text said " . . they will call." And he is dead right. So bet more on the flop and push the turn. They will call. With a draw. With a weak queen. With a pair of 2s. Just bet and bet. Forget deception. When you likely have the best hand, put money into the pot.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:36 AM

Nah man, that wasn't Rob. Rob's not clever enough for that. I think it was...uh...Amoeba? Yeah, that was a cool post. And you're right.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nah man, that wasn't Rob. Rob's not clever enough for that. I think it was...uh...Amoeba? Yeah, that was a cool post. And you're right.

[/ QUOTE ]

still wrong