Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who do you take?
Owens 31 46.97%
Moss 35 53.03%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2005, 04:41 AM

Default AQ Preflop Versus Coldcallers

A loose 3/6 table. UTG, a loose player, raises and there are two coldcallers. You are in the CO with AQo. Your Move...

Also, is your answer different on the button?
Old 02-27-2005, 04:50 AM

Default Re: AQ Preflop Versus Coldcallers

Whoever said fold should be banned.

It's close between call and raise. I think I call at a loose table. If the rest the table was tight, I'd raise.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

It's close between call and raise. I think I call at a loose table. If the rest the table was tight, I'd raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think once you have this many cold-callers, any chance of it being a tight table just went out the window.

I raise because I'm in position, I'd like to buy the button, and I'd like to take control of the action on the flop. I'd also like to get the blinds out of there -- don't want some guy with 83s calling one bet from the BB and flushing out my TPTK.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's close between call and raise.

[/ QUOTE ]
I personally disagree with this. I think it's much closer between fold and raise. In my mind, calling is the worst option. Since the PF raiser is loose, my greatest concern stems from the two cold callers in between - if they are likely to have very strong holdings then I'm a likely to fold. However, if they play poorly post flop and are likely to cold call with less than premium holdings then I will raise. Raising in this position can help me in three ways: 1) knock out the button, 2) knock out the blinds, 3) if anyone involved 3-bets they are likely to have a very strong hand.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:35 AM

The coldcallers and the description of the UTG raiser as loose make this a hand that you simply cannot fold.

Interestingly, I really don't think the coldcallers affect the AQ test here that much. They make it a little better to just call agains an UTG raiser who will sometimes have you dominated, but not much.

-Michael
Old 02-27-2005, 05:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't think the coldcallers affect the AQ test here that much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting - Are you saying that the cold callers are in fact increasing your equity?
Regardless, I do think the cold callers are important. Without them in the middle I will no longer consider folding and shift to raising as the best option. Am I alone in this line of thought?
Old 02-27-2005, 05:47 AM

Yes, I still think the decision whether to raise depends a ton on UTGs hand range and not at all on the coldcallers.

-Michael
Old 02-27-2005, 05:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Without them in the middle I will no longer consider folding and shift to raising as the best option. Am I alone in this line of thought?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to know this too. That was really the reason for my post. I didn't know if:

1. The colcallers are good, as their probably poor hands mean that I now have more equity in a larger pot.

OR

2. The coldcallers are bad, as my high-card value hand is unlikely to hold up against players who go to far anyway and go especially too far when the pot gets big.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:15 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say folding is a lot better than raising. raising an UTG raise with 2 cold callers seems supremely stupid to me
Old 02-27-2005, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say folding is a lot better than raising. raising an UTG raise with 2 cold callers seems supremely stupid to me

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol keep on foldng then.

This forum is just hilarious.