Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2005, 01:46 PM

Default JQ in the BB - Was I too LAG-y here?

Villain is a Tight-Passive

Was I too aggressive here, esp. after the flop?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

River: (8.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 10.25 BB
Old 02-26-2005, 01:48 PM

Default Re: JQ in the BB - Was I too LAG-y here?

Why did you call preflop? This is a turbo muck against a tight-passive UTG+1 raiser. I would check/raise the flop too.

Brad
Old 02-26-2005, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why did you call preflop? This is a turbo muck against a tight-passive UTG+1 raiser.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-26-2005, 02:08 PM

So 5.5:1 here is not enough to complete here?

Apparently I have some real leaks in the blinds that I need to work on. I am not ashamed to say this, but maybe I should be: this is a routine complete for me in the BB. Could one of you guys spell out for what completing is so bad here? I am apparently totally missing something.
Old 02-26-2005, 02:15 PM

I'm not against a TP UTG+1 raiser. If it's suited, I'll call it with the other players in. Maybe I'm still thinking a little weakly, but I'll save my chips for a spot where I feel more comfortable.
Old 02-26-2005, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So 5.5:1 here is not enough to complete here?

Apparently I have some real leaks in the blinds that I need to work on. I am not ashamed to say this, but maybe I should be: this is a routine complete for me in the BB. Could one of you guys spell out for what completing is so bad here? I am apparently totally missing something.

[/ QUOTE ]

We aren't even getting 5.5:1 due to the rake (not a major concern but something to consider). We are getting less and thus we need to tighten up accordingly. In a live game, you would need an even better hand to call here (you would also need a better hand to steal with should they drop the SB). You also have to consider the 5.5:1 as a value for how often we have to flop $$$ making hand.

This player is a tight-passive EP raiser. Let's say that he has AA for example. How many hands can we make money on once the flop comes (we are the favorite)? Since it is short handed, we still lose with a straight draw. We are about break even on a JT9 flop (a monster). We need to flop 2-pair or trips 1 time in 6.5 to make money against his AA. Granted he won't always have AA here, but you get the idea.
Old 02-26-2005, 04:10 PM

To further mess with your head, I would (seriously) rather defend my BB with something like 87s than QJo against the opponent described.

-DeathDonkey