Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2005, 06:23 PM

Default flop decision oesd and pair

Table Table (6 max) (Real Money)
Seat 1 is the button
Total number of players : 6
Seat 3: x ( $23.85 )
Seat 5: hero ( $150.17 )
Seat 10: y ( $22.45 )

x posts small blind [$0.25].
hero posts big blind [$0.5].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to hero [ 8c 6h ]
y calls [$0.5].
xcalls [$0.25].
hero checks.
** Dealing Flop ** [ 6s, 9s, 7c ]
x checks.
hero bets [$1.4].
y raises [$4].
x calls [$4].

Should I a call
b raise
c push?

x is a calling station
y is fairly aggressive
Old 02-23-2005, 06:28 PM

Default Re: flop decision oesd and pair

How about d) fold

I would.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:41 PM

Thanks for the response and the answer to my other hand.

I purposely left off d. fold, fully expecting to get that answer.

I'm not suggesting you are wrong, but would like to know why you'd fold. I know there is a flush draw present, but I shouldn't be thinking flush draw every time, should I? And I've got good outs.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:57 PM

I'm guessing... if you're going to advocate folding, a good line is... you have to consider the flush draw a possibility. If so, you likely only have 6 good outs.

There's a small chance also that a straight you hit wouldnt be the nuts.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:03 PM

The two villans in this hand have such short stacks, that the implied odds of chasing the straight arent good.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:30 PM

Very good point, both of you. With very little implied odds, and some of your outs possibly negated, and the fact that your draw isn't to the nuts...I fold here as well.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:45 PM

i can see why you would check with the 8-6 as big blind...i think your bet $1.4 why not bet the pot of $1.5? i woulda done 2 dollars but thats just my style a pot bet seems fine here one you could take it down right away and 2 it gives a strength image but not too much to your bankroll with only bottom pair.....now to answer your question i think you should raise it to another pot size bet after their ubsurd betting y prolly has high poket pair, or three of a kind maybe even sumhow he already hit the str8 unlikely tho. x seems to have the flush draw i would raise to push him out make it too expensive he's looking for 9 unseen cards and your looking for 13 that will help your hand. raise to about 10 dollars hope x doesn't have large balls and y will tone down alot giving you back control of the hand. By raising to 10 you can drop one player, win the pot right there, and also y will prolly check to you next round thinking you have him beat buying you a free card if you haven't caught up yet. or just fold and let the fish dance! i would raise it increase your win rate sooo much and gainsa respectable aggressive table image. when you bet the pot in the beginning the raise to the pot again after their raise they will really ponder wether you already have the str8 and just fold. i would love to hear a dispute if i am wrong. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 02-23-2005, 07:58 PM

Well, for starters, welcome to the forums (or at least to posting here).

Second, please try to break up your posts with spaces, Capital letters, and paragraph breaks. This will just make it easier for others to read (it was a bit of a struggle).

Third, on to your comments about the hand. A few of your points have been negated by other posters (myself included) somewhere in the post, but

[ QUOTE ]
i would raise it increase your win rate sooo much and gainsa respectable aggressive table image.

[/ QUOTE ]

This point doesn't make sense to me at all. How does raising here increase your win rate? Are you assuming that the other players will fold? I don't think both of them are going to lay it down, and without a good read that they will, I wouldn't test the waters (this coincides with the other points made already about the TRUE strength of Hero's hand.) And getting an aggressive table by raising here is a bit of a catch-22. You want to raise big to represent massive strength so the other players will fold, but in doing so, you lose the ability to make these exact moves in the future if your rep gets to be too aggressive.

Hero is just not getting the odds, pot or otherwise, to call or raise here. There is not a whole lot of value in his hand right now, and only a five and an unpaired board would really make me comfortable here.

[ QUOTE ]
or just fold and let the fish dance!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the best line Hero can take here, IMO.

- ToT
Old 02-24-2005, 02:23 AM

Thanks for the welcoming, (trail)
As for my grammar my online writting is not so up to par. I don't feel the need to be grammatically correct on non-interview, ungraded writting! LoL but in the future i will atleast preview and make sure my stuff is readable. I agree my last post was as sloppy as Jack Black in orange county. As for the proper play by the books it was to fold the hand I agree with that. However my style and the slight read I picked up from the post says a Semi-Bluff would pick off that pot and those players. by raising so high you crush their odds plus, one will almost certainly fold increasing your win percentage by having only one player trying to draw out on you now. If he calls and a scare.... ahhh its late...... just fold the hand if your out of time and only a buck fifty into it!! I'd love to hear Sklankys point of view tho.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:36 AM

Yeah, I never meant to come across as a grammar nazi, so sorry if I did. My eyes were probably just blurry at the time or I was annoyed with something (it happens a lot these days). Anyways, welcome again and I appreciated the reference to Jack Black in OC where he was questionable at best. Now his cameo in Anchorman on the other hand...Brilliant. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

- Trail