Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2005, 02:20 PM

Default Neteller account closed

Has anyone else ever had this happen? I got an email this morning saying my account had been closed and I had to call their security department. I called them and they asked if I had done any P2P transfers (I've received several from my rakeback affiliate). Then they said that if the sender and the receiver are on the same IP address, my account will be closed again. Then they asked all my security questions and reopened it.

It's not really possible that the guy could have transferred from the same IP address since I've never met him. The guy said it may have just been a warning but wasn't sure. I don't really want to keep as much in neteller as I am if my account is going to be closed if they screw up the ip addresses on a transfer though.

Just checking to see if this has happened to anyone else.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Neteller account closed

Why would this even be a problem? I guess if you stole some account numbers, secure ids, and passwords you could do a pretty good scam with this, but I don't see that as a particularly likely scenario.

In this case, it's probably a glitch, or they sniff the IP incorrectly and you both had 192.168.0.1 (a non-public address used for internal networks, say, behind a DSL router or something).
Old 02-18-2005, 02:34 PM

I don't think Neteller screws up IP addresses. If Neteller shows a P2P sent from one account and received on another account, and both of those actions happen from the same IP, they'll lock the account because to them it looks like someone is looting the sender's account. They are doing you a favor.

If this (both send and receive from same computer) didn't happen then you should probably check your PC for a possible hijack. Call Neteller first and alert them; get their advice about how to protect your account. If you are the "receiver" then you should tell the sender that his account may be at risk.

This would scare the bleep out of me. Good luck.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:42 PM

When I called them, they mentioned my affiliates name, so I assumed that was the transaction that triggered it, even though it was a couple of weeks ago. When I checked my account it didn't show any rejected transactions.

I guess it's possible that someone tried to transfer money and they just closed the account without even attempting the transaction, which doesn't seem all that unlikely.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:50 PM

are you mantasm from the Party 3/6?
Old 02-18-2005, 04:30 PM

That's me.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:42 PM

When compared to a Internet banking, Neteller security staff are excessively paranoid in my opinion. I think that merely logging on from a third world country is enough to get yourself blacklisted and perhaps banned for life.

If an Internet bank were to close down accounts of customers who are using their services legitimitely, on a frequent basis, despite their super security, the bank will lose their customers for causing too frequent inconvieniences.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When compared to a Internet banking, Neteller security staff are excessively paranoid in my opinion. I think that merely logging on from a third world country is enough to get yourself blacklisted and perhaps banned for life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excessive security is fine since they are handling my $$$. and when there is a possible security breach, you are not blacklisted and your accound is not closed. it is merely inactivated to prevent from further breeching of the account.

like i said in another thread, my account has been locked twice, and opened up immediately when i called their support. i have no problems with this.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:28 PM

Neteller is very cautious. We have more than one residence, and occasionally Neteller will question why my account has been accessed by a different ip (the one at our summer home). Since I run a lot of money through my Neteller account, I do appreciate their paranoia.

Joe
Old 02-18-2005, 02:50 PM

I dont understand this closing of accounts from same IP. My wife and I transfer money to each other all the time. I have never had this happen.