Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2005, 03:36 AM

Default Wow, it feels good to say \"Good play\"

I often berate my opponents when a horrible call or bad beat comes. But today after losing with AA to A8 in an aweful play by his part...

I simply said...Good play.
And he simply said...Thank you.
...And now I am happy and I feel great.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Wow, it feels good to say \"Good play\"

[ QUOTE ]
I often berate my opponents when a horrible call or bad beat comes. But today after losing with AA to A8 in an aweful play by his part...

[/ QUOTE ]

God I wish everyone would do this. I have no idea what drives certain people to constantly tap the aquarium.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

God I wish everyone would do this. I have no idea what drives certain people to constantly tap the aquarium.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I may have just figured it out. When you were say, like 3 or 4 years old, and encountered a fish tank, or, better yet, were actually taken to the acquarium, what did you want to do? Me? I wanted to tap it, but I grew up. Aw hell, I still want to tap it, but I know better now, so I don't.
Old 02-26-2005, 02:50 PM

I find most fitting to just say NH, cause it wasnt a good play, but he did make a NH
Old 02-11-2005, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
10 losses in a row to fish with terrible hands.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:40 PM

To play devil's advocate a little.

There is a difference in berating and complaining.

No one needs to have insults and stones thrown at them, but I promise that most "fish" (not all) love to get under peoples skin. In the original post it was stated...

They are real people who are playing poker, hopefully for some enjoyment. If it gives them enjoyment to feel excitement calling all-ins with A8 because they saw a play like that on TV, then great for them.

Poker breeds a certain individual that plays badly but doesnt care. They will often make a bad bet purely for the gamble. They enjoy sucking out, they enjoy playing against the odds, and damn it, they LOVE to get a rise out of people. Some of them dig and dig to try to get it.

Might I add that no player like this will have any fun against a player full of rocks unless he gets some rise out of them when he does suck out.

This is a game of poker, and rules of integrity and manors both apply. People are never going to stop complaining at a poker table. It is part of the atmosphere that attracts people that will pay you to let them get under your skin.

People play poker for different reasons, its not fair of anyone to tell anyone how to play outside the rules. Why shouldnt that include the people that want to bitch and moan a little? Granted there are limitations and I have crossed them in the past.

Its one thing to call someone a moron when they win... They love it, they have the chips you can say whatever you want and it just adds to their adrenalin. Have you ever ever ever berated a fish that won chips in a bad play, and had the fish go,, "hmmm you are right, I was wrong, I will play better from now on"... Hell no! They say "F YOU moron, who has your chips cry baby" They eat it up. But there is no reason to berate a guy that makes a bad play and loses. Now your just making him feel stupid.

Anyways. Its hard to make a point saying to let people play they way they want to and exclude the people that want to play with a chip on their shoulder. Hot heads are people too, and lots and lots of people play poker for just that reason.

For what its worth I agree from a pros stand point. Anything that keeps players in the game is a good thing. Anything that chases them away is a bad thing. Good post.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:01 PM

in my experience the guy tapping the glass is often a fish as well
Old 02-11-2005, 06:33 PM

I wish there was someway to tell other players not to tap on the glass during a game without tapping on the glass yourself.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:37 PM

I just tell the berater to STFU with no mention of fish or aquariums [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2005, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wish there was someway to tell other players not to tap on the glass during a game without tapping on the glass yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just tell them that unless they were all-county back in '95, they have no business talking smack about anybody. Not only will fellow 2+2ers appreciate this but the person will now start to taunt you. You can promptly and easily either ignore or 'disable chat' or whatever.

Yugoslav