Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2005, 12:56 PM

Default To poker pros: what will you do if internet poker dries up ?

Idle point for discussion:

Internet pros, what will you do if the games become significantly harder in the future ? What is your back up plan ?

My thoughts would be to:

- dedicate some time each week to practice my live game. Unfortunately this is not possible for all of you as there may not be enough card clubs around.
Personally, I don't know if this is feasible. I am good at detecting betting patterns online, but I'm a dud when it comes to reading people (as opposed to helmuth - I can not look into anyone's soul).

- save a lot. You need a much bigger roll to play live profitably (to earn $200/hr like some multitablers you need to play in the 200/400 range).

- invest wisely. maybe start a new business. This is part of the "save a lot". This is the pie in the sky solution.

-get a job. The problem is that I don't think poker is teaching you any easily transferable/marketable skills. What do you do with the gap in your resume ?
Old 02-10-2005, 01:33 PM

Default Re: To poker pros: what will you do if internet poker dries up ?

Go back to playing roulette
Old 02-10-2005, 02:16 PM

I wolud say pray so that the Asian market opens ASAP. Maybe you have a chinese friend or something even from Taiwan that can well I dont know convince them to start playing so it will never dry out.

On a more serious note, I am not a Pro so I have no clue but I have a feeling youre going to do fine

mushi [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2005, 08:11 PM

I think the Asian market opening up to online poker would be AWESOME for us. I'm glad you brought this up.

Also, if online poker were unambigiously legal in the US it would really help keep the fish tank nice and stocked. More commercials, less hurdles to jump through (the average would be fish does not know about Neteller).
Old 02-10-2005, 02:34 PM

fwiw, i think legal constraints would pose a more realistic threat to online poker than would a general improvement in the skills of players.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what will you do if the games become significantly harder in the future ? What is your back up plan ?

[/ QUOTE ]

The games will never become significantly harder. They are too many rich donks in the world. Even with this site and all the books in the world, the games will only get better.

People seem to forget that poker was quite profitable before online poker and especially in the early days in 2000 and 2001.

This game is inherently difficult to play your A game a high percentage of the time. Plus, and this is probably the number one reason why poker will remain profitable forever, is the fact that there is a fine line between running bad and playing bad.

You can win while playing bad and you lose a lot playing well. It can be extremely difficult to tell which is which, even for the experienced great players.

As for my back up plan, I have been fortunate to have been a live game player long before I was an online player. Plus I also live in Vegas. The very rare times I have gone to play at the Bellagio, I have been pleasantly surprised at how even worse they play than online.

In closing, people have been posting for years about the possible demise of online poker. Whether it be from a bill in the Senate or the inconceivable growth online or funding of poker accounts, people have listed numerous ways for a possible collapse. While this was a possibility three years or so ago, I feel poker has gotten too big and too mainstream to be stopped now.

Meow.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In closing, people have been posting for years about the possible demise of online poker. Whether it be from a bill in the Senate or the inconceivable growth online or funding of poker accounts, people have listed numerous ways for a possible collapse. While this was a possibility three years or so ago, I feel poker has gotten too big and too mainstream to be stopped now.

Meow.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would tend to agree with your end statement here. Which is why I disagree with your earlier points. I believe that it’s only a matter of time before the games online become legal. There’s simply to much money, to much exposure, and getting to be to many big players for it not to be legit. Party Poker becoming public was huge (to bad it wasn’t a US company) Anyway I know there is a movement to create a “National Poker Association” and that will help even further as there will be a collective voice to lobby the legislature.

So anyway, when those things happen, I think we’ll see a new influx of players. It will be the players who were hesitant to play before because it was illegal. Hard to say just how big of an impact that will be, but I do believe it will be significant.

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2005, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe that it’s only a matter of time before the games online become legal.

[/ QUOTE ]
But surely it's not illegal now?
Old 02-10-2005, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are discussions of whether or not it's legal in various states in the U.S. Dont worry though, in Sweden the law is very clear. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Playing is not illegal. There are a lot of restrictions on the arrangement of games, but never the playing.