Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2005, 04:15 PM

Default 77 against pre-flop raiser

Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Hero calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, Hero calls.

I'm re-raising BB to get heads up. If he has two overcards, then its a coin-flip. With a higher PP I'm toast. I get my mind set on calling this one to the river.

Flop: (9 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Not a great flop, but heads up I think my hand might be good. BB could be on a straight draw with overcards. He might have hit TP with a J in the pocket. He could also be bluffing. I call, but it feels too weak? Perhaps a raise would be better? Feel free to elaborate.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

I pick up a gut shot, but a 9 could also make a higher straight for BB. I'm still thinking my 77 might hold up, so I call.

River: (7.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

No way I'm folding to a bet here.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

Disgusting play on my part with all the calling, but then again I never post my good plays here. How should I go about this one?
Old 02-06-2005, 04:25 PM

Default Re: 77 against pre-flop raiser

What hands will opponents at $0.50/$1.00 cap pre-flop with? I don't think he has AQo. You have position on him and he never slows down. You probably need to hit a 7 to continue this hand past the turn (if even that far).
Old 02-06-2005, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm re-raising BB to get heads up. If he has two overcards, then its a coin-flip. With a higher PP I'm toast. I get my mind set on calling this one to the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know something about this opponent? This is a terrible strategy to have even before you've seen the flop. I'd maybe fold pre-flop. Definitely fold the flop. The river as well.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know something about this opponent? This is a terrible strategy to have even before you've seen the flop. I'd maybe fold pre-flop. Definitely fold the flop. The river as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

He tried to steal the blinds a couple of rounds ago when he was on the button, but folded to my reraise. I have also seen him play some borderline hands quite aggressively out of position (raising with KQo in early position). I wouldn't rate him as a great player.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have also seen him play some borderline hands quite aggressively out of position (raising with KQo in early position).

[/ QUOTE ]

98% of us do this as well. You should too.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have also seen him play some borderline hands quite aggressively out of position (raising with KQo in early position).

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, exactly what I was gonna post...
Old 02-07-2005, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously? Could you elaborate?
Old 02-07-2005, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously? Could you elaborate?

[/ QUOTE ]

KQo is a pretty strong hand pre-flop. I don't have my stats here to back up my winning % and winrate unfortunately. But read around the board, you'll see this is a standard pre-flop raise.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:26 PM

Could you elaborate?

Read/reread SSH.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Definitely fold the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree folding is best given the preflop cap. But would raising be better than calling? Then he can give up if villain keeps firing.