Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2005, 08:07 PM

Default What sports records will stand the longest?

What sports records will stand the longest? I'm most interested in records that aren't due to structure changes in games. So it basically comes down to What have been the most incredible performances in sport. I like track and field because the events stay pretty much the same, with structure changes leading to broken records, generally, rather than unbreakable records. The javelin is a notable exception.

In track and field I think there are a couple in the running, Mike Powell's long jump of (records and names off the top of my head so if they are wrong or not up to date , that's why) 29' 4.5"
. I believe only two people have ever jumped more than 29 feet, bob beamon in '68 and Mike Powell in I believe the early 90's, this one could stand awhile.

Javier Sontamayor's 8' .5" high jump. Only man over 8 feet, this has stood about a decade I believe. This could stand a long time.

Michael Johnson's 200m record of 19.32 seconds. This is my pick to be the longest standing track record ever. In 1968 I believe the record was 19.72 seconds. The fastest any man other than Michael Johnson has completed the 200m was frank fredricks against MJ in the 1996 olympic final in a time of 19.68. The fastest MJ ever ran besides the ridiculous 19.32 was 19.66 I believe. No one has ever finished with a 19.5x or 19.4x. This record was broken so hard it's difficult to really overstate it. It's similar to Secretariat's Belmont(?).

Another good one was Heidenreich's(?) 5 gold medals in all the ice skate (or whatever this is called)racing events.

What are some others?
Old 01-28-2005, 08:08 PM

Default Re: What sports records will stand the longest?

DiMaggio's 56 game hit-streak..Never will that one be touched.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, this one will *NEVER* get touched, especially with the pressure of today's media. Whenever someone even gets to 30-35 game hitting streak, it gets insane. No one will ever get to 56 in a row....

..Cal Ripken's record is as pointless as Emmitt Smith's rushing 'record' - dude just showed up for work every day and did his job...I been doing that for years, no one ever gave me a car or a plaque.
Old 01-29-2005, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, this one will *NEVER* get touched, especially with the pressure of today's media. Whenever someone even gets to 30-35 game hitting streak, it gets insane. No one will ever get to 56 in a row....

..Cal Ripken's record is as pointless as Emmitt Smith's rushing 'record' - dude just showed up for work every day and did his job...I been doing that for years, no one ever gave me a car or a plaque.

[/ QUOTE ]

This demeans both of these players to an outlandish degree. I hope you realize how dumb you are for having made such a statement, but I doubt you will.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:18 PM

I believe the record for triples in a season has stood for a while.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe the record for triples in a season has stood for a while.

[/ QUOTE ]well, something like that is not likely ever to be broken just because the syle of ball has changed so much. Dimaggio's is the only one that I can honestly say will never be broken(however its possible because todays style of baseball makes something like that possible).
Old 01-28-2005, 08:40 PM

I got one. Most games by a franchise without running a kickoff back for a touchdown.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I got one. Most games by a franchise without running a kickoff back for a touchdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about most games by a franchise without having a pitcher throw a no-hitter? Mets.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How about most games by a franchise without having a pitcher throw a no-hitter? Mets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't Seaver throw one for them?
Old 01-29-2005, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't Seaver throw one for them?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. He was on the Reds at the time, and I don't mean Communists Sam.