Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2005, 08:27 PM

Default KK - Did I play too aggressively ??

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. UTG+1 posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 (poster) folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (9.40 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP1 calls, Button calls, BB calls.

Turn: (12.70 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls, Button calls.

River: (20.70 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, Button folds, BB calls.

Final Pot: 23.70 BB
Old 01-22-2005, 08:30 PM

Default Re: KK - Did I play too aggressively ??

Well, you either lost to a weak-tight player who had a straight or an even worse player that had a baby flush.

Either way, pay them off. I like your line.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:34 PM

I'd say not quite aggressively enough, though not too bad. I'd 3-bet the turn. If raised on the river, I'm just calling it.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:39 PM

Well, look at BB

PF: Call a PF raise from the BB
Flop: Mad capping
Turn: Check-raise

All things considered, I put BB on a straight at this point. The question is, how to react to BB's play? With so many others in the pot, I would guess the idea is to raise to get more value out of the pot should the board pair.

I can understand calling the turn, but I can also understamd raising. Either way, I think BB has a straight.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:48 PM

Yeah, I'm not saying the raise is a clear raise, though I favor it over the call. Calling is not a big mistake (if it's even a mistake). BB's action on the flop was curious. His play on the turn is curious. His play on the River was freakin' bizarre if he has a straight.

But since OP is asking if he was too aggressive, I'm guessing he lost the hand and he only loses to a str or flush.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:28 PM

Yes, BB had the straight.
I have been trying to work on my aggression. Been trying not to chase too hard when I am behind and not be such a weaktit in the face of aggression.
I was afraid that I was totally nuts and too aggressive.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:40 PM

When you lose with a set, if you don't lose a lot of money, you probably didn't play it right.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The question is, how to react to BB's play? With so many others in the pot, I would guess the idea is to raise to get more value out of the pot should the board pair.

I can understand calling the turn, but I can also understamd raising. Either way, I think BB has a straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm new here, so I'm trying to make sure I have things straight-

Assuming that you know BB has the straight, it would be incorrect to raise, right? You have 10 outs to quads or a boat, giving you odds of 3.6:1 (or, really, 3.4:1, if you count BB's cards) against winning the hand. With three opponents still in, you don't have a proper equity edge to make raising profitable. In addition, 3-betting BB's check/raise on the turn might cause one or more opponents to fold or at least slow down and put in fewer bets on the river.

So, to anyone more experienced than me: is my reasoning correct here or not? This is assuming you knew BB had the straight.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:04 PM

I like you're line, but I would have 3-bet the turn.

Its a shame you lost, but you have to pay them off. Nothing you could have done about it.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:15 PM

The pot equity logic is correct. If there were 4 players, and you knew they'd all call, then you could bet for value against a straight (this actually doesn't happen very much because you usually can't be confident you'll get that many callers on the turn). Most "real-life" cases are more complicated, of course, because people might fold, and you could very well win the hand without filling up.

Redd