Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2005, 07:52 PM

Default 77 Eighthanded, overpair to the flop!

I'm big blind with 77. Table has got several loose players, from what I've seen, they tend to be decently aggressive preflop (at least they like to 3bet) and then go passive. SB was definately one of the loose players. He seemed to be a bit tricky at times though.

What do you think about raising preflop, and on the flop, and should I valuebet the river?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, Hero raises, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (16 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (8 players)
SB bets, Hero raises, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls.

Turn: (11 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 players)
SB checks, Hero bets, CO folds, SB calls.

River: (13 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets, SB calls.

Final Pot: 15 BB

Results posted later
Old 01-21-2005, 08:36 PM

Default Re: 77 Eighthanded, overpair to the flop!

looks good to me. i dont see you losing to anything other than a higher pocket pair.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:59 PM

Looks good. The preflop raise is deceptive and with that many opponents, it's theoretically +EV. Flop is ideal. You bet all the way. I'd bet the river. Hope you won.

Krishan
Old 02-18-2005, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks good. The preflop raise is deceptive and with that many opponents, it's theoretically +EV. Flop is ideal. You bet all the way. I'd bet the river. Hope you won.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just out of curiosity, what part about the PF raise do you think is +EV? Are you thinking we have a pot equity edge at this point making this raise good?
Old 02-18-2005, 02:11 PM

Hero is putting in 1/16th of the chips, and is 8:1 to hit his set, not to mention the times when his hand is good enough to win in other ways (straigt, UI, etc).
Old 02-18-2005, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero is putting in 1/16th of the chips, and is 8:1 to hit his set, not to mention the times when his hand is good enough to win in other ways (straigt, UI, etc).

[/ QUOTE ]

You're looking at it incorrectly. Hero is putting in 1/8 of the chips (getting 7:1 on future investment) and is 7.5:1 to hit his set, but he won't win with his set all of the time. To counter that, though, some of the time he'll win without hitting his set, so I don't see much of an advantage/disadvantage to the preflop raise. I'd like to hear what the other advantages are to raising here so I can better understand it -- the main one I know of is raising to tie other people onto a larger pot if/when you hit your set, but I'm not sure that in a game where there are this many bad limpers if that's really necessary.

Rob
Old 02-18-2005, 02:29 PM

He's in the BB, so I don't count his blind towards the chips he puts in. Is this a mistake? DO you think it would be better to take the infinite odds as opposed to building a pot where you still have favorable odds?
Old 02-18-2005, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the main one I know of is raising to tie other people onto a larger pot if/when you hit your set, but I'm not sure that in a game where there are this many bad limpers if that's really necessary.

[/ QUOTE ]
That would be about the only one I can think of as well. In any game where you have 8 out of 9 players see the flop, I doubt if deception really matters and I also doubt if, as you said, they're too concerned about pot odds. Besides that, the raise also ties people to the pot on a 5-6-2 flop. So even though I'm sure it's close to neutral EV just considering how often you'll win, I doubt if I would raise it here.

But whatever. Postflop looks fine to me.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:59 PM

This line is fine. Raising preflop with eight players in is also nice. Eight limpers, huh. Sometimes I get envious of the 2/4 players.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:03 PM

Picture Perfect!